Getting OrganizedGeneral Parenting

Give Each Child Their Own Color

I have four kids in my house. To make things easier, each kid has their own color (green, blue, red, pink/yellow). we have three boys and a girl. Most things come in green, blue, red, and yellow like plates, bowls, cups, tooth brushes, etc. Our only girl likes the color pink, but most of the time I can't find pink so I get her yellow. That is why her color is pink/yellow.

The main reason for the color system was when the kids were done eating dinner they all wanted dessert. The rule is "you have to finish what is on your plate to get dessert". There was always one plate that was left with food still on it, but each kid said, "That's not my plate! I ate all mine!" I never knew whose it was, but with the color system, NOW I know. These days, everything in our house comes in colors.

By runningonempty1971 from Columbus, OH

I think this could be good for several reasons. A friend of mine did this with kids she babysat, and then each kid took his plate and put it in the sink, after eating, helping clear. She did this with really little kids -- 3 & 4 year olds. Every little bit helps, and kids need to learn good habits and organization.

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

Good idea! The sense of humor side of me can't help but wonder how often one of the children sneaks what they didn't eat on to a different color plate though. ;-) LOL!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Extend it the Christmas. When my children were young (and even now in their 30's), Santa's gifts were wrapped in plain colored tissue paper. She was red, he green They knew every year which were their packages. The tissue was cheap and, when small, as much fun as the gifts. Gifts from Mom & Dad were stripes, Nana candy canes, etc etc.

They were only allowed to open Santa's before everyone was up (to be appropriately thanked).

Reply Like this photo? Yes

When my 6 kids were young, they were always coming in for a drink of water and naturally, that meant a new glass, so I put some cup hooks under the cabinet, and hung a kool-aid cup on each hook so that each had their own cup. I am not sure you can still get these kool-aid cups but each one was in a different design with a different face and different color. You could probably find something similar. Sure saved washing a lot of glasses.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Sounds good but why do you not know who ate and who did not? Don't you sit down and eat with them?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I got tired of getting after my 4 kids when they wouldn't pick up after themselves in the kitchen, so found a company that sold unbreakable dishes. I bought each child their own set (a Mug, a small Plate and a Bowl) They all matched, but in 4 different colors. Each child had their very OWN color! They were responsible for rinsing their own dishes each time they used them, then putting them away. The cool thing was, you could tell at a glance (by the color) who had not cleaned up after themselves. No more blaming it on another child!

By Cyinda from Seattle

Answers:

Give Each Child Their Own Color Dishes

Years ago, I babysat for a woman who had 4 girls. She used the color coding throughout the entire house. Each girl had her own color. From the kitchen dishes, to their toothbrushes/ cups, and blankets. I watched them for years, and there was never an argument of "she has my stuff".
(03/31/2008)

By Betty

Give Each Child Their Own Color Dishes

I wish I had thought to do this when my children were young it is such a great idea
could do the same for towels,etc. (03/31/2008)

By imaqt1962

RE: Give Each Child Their Own Color Dishes