Violet (Parakeet)

Violet is a parakeet. She is young, not sure, less than a year. I got her at Petsmart on July 12, 2008.

She likes to look out the window and watch what is going on outside, and sing and fly around.

Violet on the window sill.

I'm looking for tips on best way to get her finger trained. We have several books, but would like to get additional tips from experienced parakeet owners.

By Mary Lou from MD

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

A pretty name for a pretty bird....

I have three parakeets and it's good your bird is young. Having your hand inside the cage often helps to acquaint the bird w/o fear after awhile. Also, gently slide your finger across its perch edging closer. Watching for your bird's reaction that if it backs off; stop. Do this as much as you can during the day and move your finger closer and closer until you can gently stroke the bird's chest with your finger and rest it at the bird's claws. Eventually your bird will sit one leg on your finger and then another. You can eventually have the bird on your finger and move it around inside the cage. With time and patience, your bird will automatically step up to your finger and you will be able to slowly exit the cage door with the bird. Talking to the bird frequently also helps. We're talking patience, slow movement, and frequent interaction with your Violet.

I was able to walk all over the house with my bird on my finger and as long as something didn't spoof it, he remained there and allowed me to take him back to his perch inside the cage.

We left his cage door open all day and then toward the afternoon, he would perch on the top of his cage until evening when he ate again and then I'd close his door for the night. If we planned on going somewhere that day, the bird would remain in his cage. These birds can get into a lot of trouble if not supervised like flying around the room and half landing some place and falling behind something that traps them there. They have to learn the best places to perch and that means hiding in house plants, curtains, drapes, picture frames, above cabinets, sofa, chair backs and they will peck on many things. Using a finger as a perch may help sometimes to move the bird to another desirable location. A yard stick or back scratcher is handy to help transport the bird too. And, be careful of mirrors on the wall and unconcealed windows and glass doors. A bird will fly right into them and can break their neck.

One other helpful tip I read on the 'net was to tape your bird's voice. This way if the bird should ever escape outdoors, it is more likely you will get the bird to return to it's cage.

Birds enjoy music too and will often chirp more while music is being played.

I know you are asking for only how to perch train your bird to use your finger, but we've had several parakeets and I picked up a lot about them through experience I wanted to pass along your way, so you and your Violet can have a long lasting relationship.

You will have such fun with Violet! Many years ago I had a parakeet that looked very similar to Violet. Also had 2 Chihuahuas - one of which was very naughty and very vocal. He was named Scouchie - meaning small. Anyway he made so much noise that often I'd say, "Scouchie, be quiet." Benji's first words were, "Scouchie, be quiet." Very loud and very clear. The dog did not like the bird and the bird did not like that dog but would ride on the back of the tiny female. What fun they all 3 were.

How to Hand Train a Parakeet - wikiHow How to Hand Train a Parakeet. As you may have seen before, parakeets can sit on your hand or finger.

http://www.wikihow.com/Hand-Train-a-Parakeet

if this site doesn't do it for you try eHow or instructables

both are popular "how-to" sites

There is a wonderful book for people who own parrots. It's called "Well Behaved Parrot". It has a hyacinth macaw on the front cover. I know a parakeet is different from parrots, they don't hold their food with their foot, but the tips are great for any hook-billed bird.

Looks a bit like a budgie.

Pretty bird! Pretty bird!

I don't have any training tips - sorry! But, I just had to compliment you on that photo! It's beautiful! Wow! Violet is georgous as well.

She is beautiful. I was wondering if you know that parakeets can learn a few words...also short sentences. I have had two that talked. Good luck.

I have 4 parakeets, one of which is 12 years old. First off, I would have someone (with experience) trim your birds wings. It sounds mean, but it will help it to become more dependent on you, and also lessen the chances of it getting scared, and flying into the glass, walls, getting its feet caught on curtains, etc., and injuring itself. Mine love to cuddle, and are very sweet. We accomplished this by placing the cage in a quiet corner of the room, where there is no traffic.

We really never put our hands in the cage, unless it is being cleaned, putting seeds in the dish, etc. We always let them come to us when they were ready, and they know that the cage is the "safe place" where they wont be bothered. I always talk to them, and play music for them when I am gone, too, they love to sing. Hope some of this helps.

Beautiful bird. I have a 12 year old cockatiel. He is out of his cage all day long with me and doesn't go in until bed time. He is my baby. When I first got him, he was clipped. It was very easy to train him. Now I can't get away from him. Everywhere I go, he is right there also. Enjoy your parakeet. They are wonderful companions.

A beautiful portrait. Also did you notice it's a great 45 degree angle - both the parrot and the curtains.

Beautiful photo!

Lovely bird and great name, Violet!

That is the prettiest bird photo I have seen.

This pic is my desktop pic right now. Thx!

I am intrigued by the name. How did you come to name her Violet? I have two that are that color! She's so lovely!

Comment

Parakeet/Budgies
Parakeet/Budgie Photos
Pets BirdsAugust 7, 2008
Training a Parakeet
Training a Parakeet
Parakeet
Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Parakeet
Understanding Parakeet Behavior
Parakeets sitting on a wood perch.
Determining the Gender of a Parakeet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 7, 2016 at 5:03:21 PM on 10.0.0.75 in 625 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.