Using Toothpaste for Polishing Silver

contest winner icon

Use toothpaste (not the gel) to clean and polish silver. Put some on a clean rag and cover the area you want to polish with toothpaste. When dry, buff with soft, clean rag. It will shine just as well as if you have used silver polish, and its so much cheaper.

Another way to use toothpaste is to remove grass stains from clothes. Put some on the stained area and scrub with an old toothbrush. Rinse with water, launder as usual. Both tips work really well, they are cheap and done without a lot of work!

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

This works! I just tried it and can attest to it's effectiveness. It also has the benefit of leaving your hands "minty fresh".

I like to use it to clean my jewelry, I rinse it off and then buff it to a shine with a clean cotton towel; nothing like fresh breath and jewelry!

January 12, 2011 Flag

People think this is crazy but I've done it for many years, I have some silver and, instead of spending a lot of money on polish, I tried different things. I found that toothpaste (it must be paste, not gel) will take the tarnish off silver or copper.

1. Dampen cloth

2. With a small amount of paste work in a circular motion, leaving a layer of the paste to do the work. Set aside, moving on to the next item

3. When all are covered, return to the first item. Wipe paste off and rinse in warm water, if desired to remove any left on paste. Or wipe with another damp cloth. This can be done as often as needed.

By NannyQuacker from Pineville, LA

Using Toothpaste for Polishing Metals

Toothpaste is a very fine grinding compound. We've used it to 'fine tune' fishing reels, improves performance by 100%. :) Being that toothpaste is a fine grinding compound, be careful that your polishing technique doesn't thin the silver plating. (10/16/2009)

By Cajun62234

October 15, 2009 Flag

Toothpaste is a great polisher for metal. My husband uses the white paste to polish his belt buckles. Squirt it on the metal, use the toothbrush to scrub it into crevices, and then wipe clean when done.

By Mindi from Henderson, NV

Using Toothpaste for Polishing Metals

It's also great for cleaning jewelry! (10/23/2008)

By Poor But Proud

Using Toothpaste for Polishing Metals

When I purchased my class ring from ArtCarved a bit over 20 years ago, they gave you a pamphlet about caring for it, and they recommended cleaning your class ring with "a mild toothpaste". And I've found it to be one of the best things to clean diamonds and gold with as well. (10/28/2008)

By bailegirl

Cleaning Silver, Silver tea pot with an antique Chinese tea cup and saucer.
Cleaning Silver
Home and Garden Cleaning MetalJanuary 12, 2011
girl brushing her teeth
Saving Money on Toothpaste
Polishing Leather Shoes
Polishing Leather Shoes
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Tube of toothpaste.
Removing Toothpaste Stains from Clothing