Resident Dog Fighting With New Dog

I have a a 3 year old, 18 lbs, female pug named Zena. We recently got a fun loving Boxer who is almost 1 year old named Roxy. In the beginning when we first brought Roxy into our home, there were no problems. Then slowly the two dogs have been getting into more and more frequent fights. It is very hard for me to be gone from home and not worry about those two. Well about an hour ago we got home from a family reunion and with in a half hour the got into a pretty bad fight. I am not sure what is wrong with them.

I am a teenager and my mother is now about ready to get rid of my Boxer. Please hurry and tell me what to do. It would be more convenient to not separate the two dogs, but I will do anything to keep them. They are of the same sex, and normally they have been fighting for a reason, such as food or attention. This recent fight was for no reason. Please help!

By Ashley from Phoenix, AZ

I had to give up one of our dogs because of this same fighting you speak of. I tried everything. You may not realize what you did to set them off but it was something. Usually they are fighting for your attention. Make sure they are both spayed. Other than that, all I can suggest is a product called "Aggression Formula" from PetAlive products. You can google it to get the website. It's not cheap but it does work. I had two large dogs and was just not able to afford to keep two dogs on this stuff on a regular basis.

I have had some similar experiences with same sex dogs. Since they are still new to each other they are trying to figure out who is the dominate (leader) dog. There are books that will explain how to help the dogs sort this out safely. They should both be spayed if not done already. Also if you can take them on some long walks together that helps with the bonding experience that makes them feel like pack members. I have a boxer and they need excercise and mental stimulation. There's and expression a tired dog is a good dog. I would definitely get a crate and keep one in a crate when you go out. We feed our dogs in their own crates which helps with competition over food. They also have to be in their crates to get their rawhide bones or other treats. Because they get fed in the crate they are very happy to go in them. Try to hang in there, a year old boxer is like a teenager and things will get better as she mellows, don't forget to work on obedience commands and make sure she repects you as the leader. Try to read about dog psychology and watch the Dog Whisperer if you haven't already.

Pets Dogs AdviceJuly 10, 2010
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Older cat playing with a kitten.
Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat
Rescued Dog
Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
Dog with Cat
Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats
🎄
🍂