Saving Money on Your Internet Bill

Internet is a necessity in many homes. While faster internet can be nice, it can cost a lot. This is a guide about saving money on your internet bill.

September 5, 2008 Flag

Saving Money on Your Internet Connection

Tips for saving money on internet service as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Consider Dial Up

Ask yourself if there is a real need to have the fastest Internet service at premium prices. Keeping your computer maintained will keep your computer functioning faster.

Consider unlimited "Dial Up Service" for $9.95 a month. I prepay 3 years and have not had a problem with my local ISP. I feel I have more time than money! There is nothing that I need that fast to pay a premium price to have the fastest Internet Service.

By Syd from Dunkirk, MD

Look for Local Providers

We have been using Provide.net for about 2 years now. It's only $10 a month and we never have problems with them. They are more Mac friendly too. It's a local service and that's the key. You want the local services because they don't have all the overhead and advertising the big guys do. Everyone I know who's had AOL has problems and they're way too expensive. We had Earthlink before for $20 a month and they were fine. But it's only a connection to the internet and all of them can do it.

By Vicki

Shop Around and Pay in Advance

Check with the various internet providers and see if they have a better price if you prepay for a year at a time instead of monthly. I mentioned this to my daughter, who is on AOL, and to her surprise, it saved her about $50.00 a year. Keep the dollars in your pocket not your ISP's pockets.

By Syd

Netzero.com

We use the dial-up service with netzero.net and are only paying $6.95 per month. I have been with them for several years though to get this price.

By Jess

Verizon ISP and Cell Phone

If you have a Verizon cell phone that is USB enabled, Verizon is a free ISP. You use regular minutes with free use after 9 and on weekends.

By wsulecki

We had dial-up, both Toast and Prexar. The problem we had was it would take up to 55 minutes to download a full page photo and I bought 2 years of Panda Virus protections at about $60.00 each which we could not use more than 3 weeks each as the updates would not download. We would get cut off after being connected for a minute or two and it took more time than that for the updates to come in. We now have roadrunner for our TV, phone and computer at the cost of less than $80.00 total. We have minimum channels on our TV as we don't need more than 35 channels.

Hi--I had affordable dial up from 97 to Jan 2008. It was time to move up> I was able to stay with the same local service and go to high speed wireless for $10 more per month. My valued customership was finally worth something! Our here in rural MN, we don't get much choices except national Charter, or Embarq. So the little local ISPs need our business. I love being fast as my photos from my cameras take longer to send otherwise. An hr per photo is not fun and to be cut off means starting over with sending files.

The one perk I have is a referral gets me a month free when the newbie gives my name or I contact the ISP with the name and they sign up. Also, monthly trivia drawings let you get discounts off too. You could get a year free just with referrals.

Grandma J.

When I was on dial up I used phreego.com. It is a company of computer people tired of being used by the big guy.That had great service about 10.00 a month. I had netzero and If I did not stay on their site for a certain amount of time they would boot me off. People pc wasn't bad but too commercialized.

Beware! Some Internet Service Providers will save you money over others, but put spyware, adware, etc. on your computer. I had a lot of problems with People PC, tried a few others, but I'm very, very happy with TurboUSA.com. They charge $8.95 a month, and they speak the good ol' American language so you can understand them! They offer 24/7 support, but I've rarely had to call, but when I had a question, they were very nice, and guided me through step by step.

June 12, 2012 Flag

What is a good and the least expensive Internet Service?

By Irmi

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

A lot will depend on where you live. Do a google search and see what you come up with. I don't think any of the cheap ones are that great, I used to use them and what usually happens is after you have them awhile they increase the prices. Several years ago I switched to Qwest(now Century Link), at the time I switched to them they were running a special for $29.95 or something with absolutely no increase in rates for the amount of time I would stick with them. I haven't had any problems with them and I have probably been using them for five years. With the cheaper ones I was usually looking for a new service year or so.

July 21, 2007 Flag

Hello Frugal Friends, I was wanting to know how much your internet service is. I use to have dial up with Netscape ($21.95) now I have DSL with Verizon which was $17.99 but now has raised to $21.99. I am thinking of switching again and would like some advice on that.

Thanks for your help,
Teresa from VA

I have been using mybluelight.com dial up for a long time. I pay $9.95 per month.

While I'm not on DSL, I am on cable. $47 a month plus another $50 for tv. $5 each for 4 tv for digital. Another $15 for HBO.

Hello, i'm self supporting and i have to stay on dial up so i use Netscape and 10.95 a month although i have seen a disk for Netscape for 6.95 month..

We pay $34.99/month for cable internet through Charter. That may seem pricey, but we also have Viatalk phone service, which uses the cable internet, for only $14.99/month. So combined phone and internet is $50.00/month.

How lucky for all of you that have DSL. I had it when I was at my old apartments but I moved recently to a place with lots of businesses (believe it or not) and was told that none of the phone towers (for DSL) are close enough, so it was either cave in to COMCAST's unreasonable rates, or this Wireless company which is unreliable, or go back to dial up. I've gone back to dialup but would LOVE to have DSL again. When I had it, it was thru Verizon at $14.95 a month and they tried to tell me that was a slower speed but it was certainly faster than my dialup so I'd love to have that slower speed DSL again. PLEASE!

I had Aol but got fed up with paying the high price for their SLOW dial up so I canned them.well I went to several other dial ups because where we are,we can only get dial up or Dish.[at $79.95 a month.] well AOL gave me a good deal for subscribing again.

free 2 months and then.. $9.95 a month.heck I believe it's faster than it was now.!! I'm not a cheapskate but we're Retired and every penny counts so I was really happy with the lower price.their explanation was because we don't have all the extra security we had at $23,95.I have installed Symantec so I don't need their EXTRA security.

net zero hi speed for 12.95 a month

Depending on the speed you need, AT&T has DSL plans that start at $14.99 a month. But, a pretty fast one is $19.99 a month. That's the one I use.

November 7, 2013 Flag

I am searching for dial up high speed internet service. Who offers this kind of service at a low dial up price?

By Rallen

Check out Freedompop.com.

April 26, 2006 Flag

Today's poll asks: How much do you spend on internet access? Post your answer below.

Feel free to post feedback about this poll in the feedback forum below.

I pay yearly so I receive a $2 a month discount. It comes to $19.95 monthly as opposed to $21.95 a month. Also, my ISP gives the same discount of $2 if you are an AARP member. I like the yearly billing since I am very satisfied with my ISP and don't have to worry about monthly bills. They notify me a few months prior to my year being up so I then make arrangements to pay and it is taken care of. No more worries.

LI Roe

I pay $9.95 a month and have it billed to my Discover card every month (they give discounts). I really like my ISP , but prefer to go monthly so that I can switch to cable when I win the lottery :>)

I spend 19.95 a month on cable internet. I got a deal for four months, then it goes up.

Budget & Finance UtilitiesOctober 19, 2011
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Saving Money on Your Electric Bill, Money and Light Bulb on Top of Electric Bill
Saving Money on Your Electric Bill
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens
🎉
🎄