Internet Service Provider Reviews

Category Internet
Internet Service Provider
Depending on where you live you may have the option of choosing from several internet service providers. Deciding which one is best for your needs often requires some research. This is a guide about internet service provider reviews.

Wild blue is the worst internet service. I've had it for 1 year. They cut you off for running over to super slow internet. I'm paying $79.95 and only have internet for about 2 weeks a month. The other 2 weeks, I'm slowed down as punishment, so I'm paying for nothing.

By Jay E.

Top Comment

I've had Wildblue for at least four years and have never had a problem with it, though I use the internet a lot. However, I do agree that almost any satellite provider will slow down service after too many large file downloads within a short period of time, in order to preserve bandwidth for other users (called the Fair Access Policy, I think, or FAP). If a person is downloading huge files like movies every day, I'm sure they could get slowed down often.

I'm on their lowest price service now because I can no longer afford the fastest one (it's slower on large downloads anyway so I don't download huge files often), but the service has been wonderful otherwise, way faster than dial-up.

When you live too far out to get cable internet or any other super fast service, Wildblue can be a blessing. I've had other satellite providers and Wildblue has been the best for support and the most dependable day to day, so I stick with them.

That said, you're right, any of them can slow you down at the worst times, so satellite is not recommended at all for 'gamers' who need constant super-high-speed, and not for people who want to download a lot of video files. It's mostly just for normal internet use. High-usage customers will have issues with it from time to time, but then the only reason someone will be using satellite internet will be because they live in an area with no other viable choices for high speed.

For those of us, it's kinda all we have to choose from. If you are in a rural area and using slow dial-up, you'd probably like Wildblue. We're so far out that cell phones don't even work, so getting blazing fast service from Wildblue was worth it to us, because on dial-up, we couldn't even download a photograph in a timely fashion, and now we can at least watch short You-Tube videos, and when we had the fastest service, we could watch tv shows. Wildblue is great for what it is, you just have to know what to expect from satellite before getting it or you can be unhappy with any of the services.

This page contains Wild Blue internet service reviews. Other people's experience with their internet service provider can help you make an informed buying decision.

Concept photo of laptop monitor with program icons coming out of it.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I was wondering what internet service everyone finds is the best to use. We are looking for a new service, we have had it with AOL, not only are they expensive, but when we called to cancel their service, the customer service rep. gave us such a hassle, my husband was on the phone for 20 mins trying to get them to cancel then when he asked to speak to a supervisor, the rep. told him it wasn't a supervisor matter. Finally they cancelled the AOL. We'd like a internet service that is inexpensive and has better customer service. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rebecca

Best Answer

I have found the local services are much more reliable, and the customer service is definitely better. I have only used 2 services in 6 years, but my sister has used several, and without exception, she had to fight with every single one to get them to stop charging her bank account after she canceled. One of them even took money out of our Mother's account after my sister had cancelled her checking account.(it was a joint account, but nonetheless they didn't have authorization. With a local service, you don't have to give them a credit card number usually, so that cannot happen. Most local services will let you stop in the office and pay by check or by cash. And if you have a problem, they are more available. The big ones will ignore your emails for help and leave you floundering. Good customer service is very important.

Does anyone have HughesNet? I am wondering if it could be any better than Wild-blue.

By Laura from Woodlake, CA

Best Answer

I had HughesNet for two years. The slowest speed cost $79/mo in the Cleveland, OH area. It was extremely slow - I'm not talking about streaming U-Tube or other videos, just accessing plan old emails (theirs, AOL or gmail accounts). When I attempted to access my work email and databases via Citrix, forget about it. It took almost 20-30 minutes to get into it, then about six seconds per keystroke of movement. This was experienced both with my personal desktop or my firm's laptop with a hard connection, not WiFi. There wasn't a lot of extra junk on the PC's either.

HughesNet's solution was to upgrade to the top level, which would have been over $100/month. I am the only user, the internet was only being accessed 5-20 hours a week if I worked from home weekends (which was about 5-6 times a year), or about 5 hours a week for personal emails. That was a pretty expensive premium to pay for one person.

To top it off, when I cancelled the HughesNet service, they would not come and take down their satellite dish. They said I owned it now and it was my responsibility. So, two years later, it still sits on my roof.

Does anyone have any input on "Windstream" cable, internet, and phone service? They advertise a lifetime package for $89.

By Keeper from Blue Ridge Mts., NC

Best Answer

We have Windstream cable, internet and phone. Our bill is around $89 every month and has been for the past several years. If you add "extras" such as call waiting, etc., the charges will go up because of that. I'm not sure what kind of cable package you will be offered, ours isn't as good as what would be offered with dish network or satellite. But then they would be much more expensive.

What is a good and the least expensive Internet Service?

By Irmi

Best Answer

A lot will depend on where you live. Do a google search and see what you come up with. I don't think any of the cheap ones are that great, I used to use them and what usually happens is after you have them awhile they increase the prices. Several years ago I switched to Qwest(now Century Link), at the time I switched to them they were running a special for $29.95 or something with absolutely no increase in rates for the amount of time I would stick with them. I haven't had any problems with them and I have probably been using them for five years. With the cheaper ones I was usually looking for a new service year or so.

What is the least expensive bundle? They usually expire after 12 month and then go up in price.

By Irma

You need to call around to the different companies such as AT&T, Comcast, etc., and ask for price quotes. You can also find information online at their websites. Bundles will vary from company to company depending on what phone and internet services you want. I personally have never seen promotional bundle pricing that lasts for more than 12 months.