Homemade Laundry Detergent Without Borax

Has anyone got a recipe for homemade laundry detergent that does NOT include borax? I CANNOT find it in my country. I have an automatic front loader. Washing soda and laundry bar soap is easily available here. Any suggestions please? Most detergents here in Malta are imported and they are very expensive. Thanks.

Cettina: borax is nice to add to your recipe because it boosts the cleaning power of soap but it's not necessary. You can do without or substitute the following: baking soda(deodorizing) or white vinegar(fights mildew and mold and brightens colors -- but never use vinegar and bleach together, they produce toxic fumes). Hope this helps!

You don't have to use borax in the homemade detergent. You could use all fabric bleach instead or even oxyclean.

dont know wat borax is coz its unavailable here, so i didnt know if i cud leave it out. yes, we get imported fabric bleach from italy here so i can i use the same amount (more or less) when i make up the recipe instead of borax? washing soda and oxyclean are both readily available here. can i substitute any of these instead too? if anyone has any suggestions for a recipe i cud use that they have found works, i wud be very grateful. i can get laundry soap easily here, again imported from italy or U.K. ANY HELP WUD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. I live on a tiny island in the middle of the meditteranean sea and the water has a lot of limestone in it. dont know if thats relevant or not.

Try this recipe:

1 cup of shredded laundry soap

1/2 cup washing soda

1/2 cup all fabric bleach OR oxyclean

Mix all the ingredients and use 1 tablespoon for light loads or 2 tablespoons for heavy loads. This is a dry detergent form recipe and it will not suds up but, it cleans great!

Cettina, I have noted on a number of occasions in lists on the internet, that women have said they use liquid dishwashing detergent for clothes washing, mostly Ajax if you can get that. I use vinegar instead of fabric softener. Dryer sheets are not supposed to be very good for your dryer.

You can email me if you want a list of stain solution hints I have gathered from the internet.

Pat galphoenix at yahoo d o t c o m

check the dollar stretcher forums. http://www.stretcher.com . There is laundry soap thread. I believe you can use baking soda instead of borax. vinegar to rinse or in the wash to disinfect.

go to allabout.com and search under frugalliving.

I have been using home made laundry detergent recipe for a few weeks without borax and am pleased with the results. The hard water doesn't make it easy for any detergent to work here but it did the job. I use it in flake form not melted. I must admit that my laundry is not that dirty, just everyday use and sweat mainly, but the recipe cleaned well. I looked everywhere for lux soap flakes, but as it seems they are no longer made under this brand name and no longer imported here so have to grate soap. am using sunlight which smells nice although you can buy large bars of laundry soap (made in malta) cheaper.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm really surprised I saw another person from Malta - Gail! i thought i was the lone voice from my little Mediterranean Island. It's lovely to know that there is somebody else from Malta who uses this website.

I have the exact OPPOSITE problem. I am unable to find washing soda or laundry bar soap. Any hints where to find these in NC?

If you can't find washing soda, you can make it yourself from baking soda.

RE:I have the exact OPPOSITE problem. I am unable to find washing soda or laundry bar soap. Any hints where to find these in NC?

If you are unable to find washing soda (sodium carbonate), you can make washing soda from baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) by heating baking soda in baking dish in the oven. Heat the baking soda in an ordinary oven at 300°F for 1-2 hours. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or baking times. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different than baking soda.

Heating the baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) drives off water and carbon dioxide to make sodium carbonate (washing soda), which (when dissolved in water) is higher in pH (about pH 11), and is better at cutting grease than baking soda.

Thanks, Mohri. I'll do that.

Hello.

More info for the borax:

Ground borax powder,

Sodium Tetra borate

Na2O-2B2O3-10H20

It is available in pottery and ceramic supply houses

It is used in metal casting and pottery making.

Technical grade is $1.25 for a 454gram or one pound.

I use it for metal casting.

Hope it helps to locate the BORAX for the laundry purpose to.

Does anyone know where to find Arm&Hammer Washing Soda in Louisiana. Walmart doesn't carry it. Thanks, bdon1

For those that have a hard time finding the washing soda you can call 1-800-524-1328 and give them your zip code and they will tell you the stores close to you that carries it. The code for it is UPC: 33200-03020 but I did not have to tell them the code.

For locations that carry the Borax you can put in your zip on this site and it will bring up a list of local stores for you http://www.dial  or/storeloc2.cfm You have to select laundry care in the brand drop down, then select 20 mule team borax 76 oz in the item drop down