Getting Rid of Parvo Virus Before Getting New Dog

I recently lost a five month old puppy due to parvo. I want to get a new 10 month old Westie, she needs her last two sets of shots. I plan on taking her for her third set the day I pick her up. I cleaned my whole back yard with bleach, got rid of every single thing he played with or touched back there. I cleaned the inside of my house with color safe bleach. Do you think she will be fine?

By Valerie from CA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By merlene smith 4 311 08/25/2010

What does your vet reccommend? He should be an authority on the subject.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lizzyanny 9 1,215 08/25/2010

Color safe bleach is not a disinfectant like regular bleach is.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Leslie Jordan T. 1 08/26/2015

That comment about "skipping the puppy silliness"..If any dog comes into contact with the infected area, that dog is at risk of getting it, the only reason why it is more common in puppies is because their tiny bodies immune system isn't nearly strong enough to fight it off but if you get a grown dog with a weak immune system that isn't producing enough antibodies, even with vaccines that dog might just as well get the Parvo Virus as well, I HIGHLY suggest you Treat the area, either with Bleach, or color safe bleach and disinfectant Do NOT go purchasing another dog until the areas are cleaned. Parvo is a Virus that attacks the inner lining of a dogs stomach allowing bad and harmful bacteria to enter the dogs blood stream, and it tears down whats left of the immune system if untreated allowing other illnesses and diseases to Accure which is what initially kills the dog. even vaccinated dogs have a 10% window to come under attack by the virus, 85% of cases treated early enough and aggressively Survive But 90% Of cases caught too late or not treated end up dying. Parvo can show symptoms, Or it can hide it's self to where you don't know until it's too late. Please treat the areas, If need be get in contact over the phone or in-person with your local vet and Ask them about over the counter sprays or commercial Sprays.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Parvo Virus Before Getting New Dog

How do I clean up my house and yard etc. to get rid of parvo so my new puppy I'm getting won't contract it?

By Christopher B. from Rocky Mount, NC/ Norfolk, VA

RE: Getting Rid of Parvo Virus Before Getting New Dog

Did you have a dog that had parvo recently? If so, "do not" get a new puppy until the virus has been removed from where the other puppy was, ie: yard bedding carpets, etc. The parvo virus can stay in your yard and surroundings for about a year. Please call your veterinarian for any other questions. There are also breeds that are more prone to get parvo then others; ie: Rotts, Pit Bulls, and Dobies, they must have an extra vaccination if necessary. Good luck. (10/31/2009)

By K9cats

My puppy, well my son, Chico was just laid to rest yesterday. He was a beautiful 4 month old white Pit Bull and had parvo. My question is, how do I get rid of the parvo in my yard so when we do decide to get another puppy that puppy doesn't get sick? I know it's soon to think of another puppy, but I have an 11 year old daughter and it's hard on her. Just like for me.

By rip baby chico from Oceanside, CA

I am a vet. tech. Parvo stays in the ground/soil for at least 7-10 years. Unless you can bleach the whole yard and house you will not be able to get rid of it. Bleach is the only thing that kills it. If you get a new puppy it needs to have 3-4 booster vaccines before you even bring it to your home. (06/26/2010)

By cnabutler09

I am so sorry you lost your puppy. It is heartbreaking. When you feel it is time for a new pet, why not adopt an adult dog from a shelter? You can skip all the puppy silliness and not have to worry about the parvo virus. Be sure the new dog has been properly vaccinated. Good Luck. (06/29/2010)

By Lizzyanny