Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Parvo Virus Before Getting New Dog

I recently lost a five month old puppy due to parvo. I want to get a new 10 month old Westie, she needs her last two sets of shots. I plan on taking her for her third set the day I pick her up. I cleaned my whole back yard with bleach, got rid of every single thing he played with or touched back there. I cleaned the inside of my house with color safe bleach. Do you think she will be fine?

By Valerie from CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lizzyanny [9]08/25/2010

Color safe bleach is not a disinfectant like regular bleach is.

By merlene smith [4]08/25/2010

What does your vet reccommend? He should be an authority on the subject.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Parvo Virus Before Getting New Dog

How do I clean up my house and yard etc. to get rid of parvo so my new puppy I'm getting won't contract it?

By Christopher B. from Rocky Mount, NC/ Norfolk, VA

RE: Getting Rid of Parvo Virus Before Getting New Dog

Did you have a dog that had parvo recently? If so, "do not" get a new puppy until the virus has been removed from where the other puppy was, ie: yard bedding carpets, etc. The parvo virus can stay in your yard and surroundings for about a year. Please call your veterinarian for any other questions. There are also breeds that are more prone to get parvo then others; ie: Rotts, Pit Bulls, and Dobies, they must have an extra vaccination if necessary. Good luck. (10/31/2009)

By K9cats

My puppy, well my son, Chico was just laid to rest yesterday. He was a beautiful 4 month old white Pit Bull and had parvo. My question is, how do I get rid of the parvo in my yard so when we do decide to get another puppy that puppy doesn't get sick? I know it's soon to think of another puppy, but I have an 11 year old daughter and it's hard on her. Just like for me.

By rip baby chico from Oceanside, CA

I am a vet. tech. Parvo stays in the ground/soil for at least 7-10 years. Unless you can bleach the whole yard and house you will not be able to get rid of it. Bleach is the only thing that kills it. If you get a new puppy it needs to have 3-4 booster vaccines before you even bring it to your home. (06/26/2010)

By cnabutler09

I am so sorry you lost your puppy. It is heartbreaking. When you feel it is time for a new pet, why not adopt an adult dog from a shelter? You can skip all the puppy silliness and not have to worry about the parvo virus. Be sure the new dog has been properly vaccinated. Good Luck. (06/29/2010)

By Lizzyanny