Paint and Floor Color Advice for Kitchen

I am looking for suggestions of what colour I could paint my kitchen and dining room walls, if I have high gloss cream and aubergine (dark purple) cupboards and oak worktops. I would also like ideas of what floor tiles to put down.

By Emma from Wales

Answers

The main thing is to figure out where you want the emphasis to be. If it's the purple color, then go with paint colors that are a shade or two lighter or darker than the cream. For the floor tiles, go with a lighter shade of the cream or a coordinating color if the room looks a little dark with the purple. If not, lean toward a few shades away from the purple.

I am getting a laminate counter that has gray with a little peach and white. My cupboards are old Formica and look like oak. My large appliances are white and my small appliances are black. What color should I paint my walls? And what color floor should I have?

By Elaine from VT

Answers:

The peach color will go good on the walls and the oak color will be fine for the floor. Good luck. (04/12/2010)

By kffrmw88

Make the floor look like black and white tiles (like an old ice cream parlor). There is vinyl that copies this look if you don't want to use real tile. And I second the peach walls idea, though a sage green would look nice too. (04/12/2010)

By countessj

On the walls, try a shade or two darker than the peach for a nice accent. For floors, go with oak. (04/15/2010)

By Allison5