Agave Nectar as a Sugar Substitute

By Bobbie 166 11

I have been researching sugar substitutes and have found an awesome substitute that is not chemically altered like Splenda and the others on the market. Some of you may already use it, if not I highly recommend you try agave nectar. My family loves it. I can use it in hot or cold liquids and use it in the place of sugar in recipes. In my research I found the substitution ratio to sugar is 1/3 cup agave syrup to 1 cup sugar. You also need to reduce the oven temp by 25 degrees (F). The best place I found to buy it is on Amazon.com. You can buy two large bottles for a great price. This product has a shelf life of 3 years.

I put agave syrup on my husband's waffles this morning and he did not even notice the difference. I used google search and found a great recipe for Cinnamon Swirl Muffins using agave nectar, they are yummy! There is a baking book available, but it is more then I want to pay right now. To see if my family liked the agave nectar I purchased a bottle at my local Tom Thumb for $3.78 this is for a 11.75 oz. bottle. You do not have to use but a tiny bit in your hot or cold beverages because it is very sweet. Agave nectar does not cause your blood sugar to spike like regular sugar and honey does. This will be a staple in my pantry from now on.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall

Showing: Comments Sort

By badwater 263 654 Flag

I know on that Sweets cooking show on the Veria satellite tv station, they use agave nectar for sugar substitute all the time. Also, stevia, too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Delicious substitute. Buy a bottle at Trader Joe's for $2.98

for 11.75 ozs. Check it out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Although Agave Nectar tastes great my research shows that it is far from healthy or natural. It is 70-90% fructose the same stuff that is in High Fructose corn syrup and may be responsible for liver damage and obesity problems. I know it sounds scary...but I think it is very scary that it is being promoted as healthy. I have an article on it at ThursdaysGirl.wordpress.com. Let me know what you think. Best wishes ThursdaysGirl

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Samantha 1 Flag

ThursdaysGirl, the fructose in agave nectar is NOT the same as high fructose corn syrup. "It is 10% glucose and 90% fructose, but this is fructose in it's natural form (unlike high fructose corn syrup)." It doesn't make your blood sugar spike. Which makes it good for diabetics.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

spoon with drizzling agave syrup
Using Agave Nectar
Previous
Food and Recipes Food Tips Healthy EatingAugust 3, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
HummingbirdFeeder
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Ground Cinnamon
Sugar Free Cinnamon and Sugar Recipes
spoon with drizzling agave syrup
Using Agave Nectar
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 9:29:59 AM on 10.0.1.6 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings