Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Free Copper Wire

I just found a way to get FREE copper wire. I went to a construction dumpster. The contractor has to pay by the pound to have it hauled awayl I asked if I could have the scrap wire (plastic coated) used in the electrical aspects of the building. I got feet and feet of copper wire... all thicknesses. I stripped the first inch of the wire so I can tell how thick it is. Then stored it with the rest covered with the plastic so it won't tarnish. Recycle and save money.

By

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By honestly (Guest Post)12/06/2008

prices are down save until demand goes up esp. if finanicancaly strapped

By tom (Guest Post)04/17/2008

There is a machine that I use , and it works great. It's called the wire zipper. This should help.

By Mickey (Guest Post)01/05/2008

go a head and burn it off.

Afterwards put it in a large stainless steel container with some muratic acid (Home Depot has it cheap) it will take the darkened surface off (only a few atoms thick) leaving a shiny copper surface.

By david (Guest Post)12/10/2007

Is there a machine that will do it for you?

By lisa (Guest Post)09/23/2007

If you burn the plastic off the wire, the recycling place
will not give the clean copper price on it. I found out the hard way. By tying the wire to a chain link fence, then take a good sharp knife, hold the wire straight out in front of you. Then take your knife and carefully take your blade, cut down to the wire and strip towards you. It strips it pretty easy. That's the easiest way to do it so far.

By Greg (Guest Post)05/29/2007

It's so funny, I have been looking for a way to do the very same thing without burning off the plastic coating. I do the same thing with a box cutter. There has to be a better way. I am researching it and will get back to you if I find a way.

By Tim (Guest Post)07/24/2005

I have a bunch of copper wire, and have been stripping the wire with a box cutter slash down one side and peeling the plasic off of the wire. Is there a better way (less manual work!) to remove the plastic? Is there a chemical wash that would dissolve the plastic without harming the copper? Where would I find more information on this topic? Thanks for you help!

By Julie (Guest Post)02/20/2005

Stanlie, you can take this a step further too. We used to have a neighbor that would get a bunch of that and burn the plastic off. then take it to the recycle place and rack up!

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.