Saving Money on Craft Supplies

Garage sales are great. There is such an endless variety, and you never know what you will find. If you're into crafting the garage sale can be a goldmine. The goldmine is the joy you feel when you see a table full of fabric, a box filled with skeins of yarn, dozens of frames and pictures, and all priced from 10 cents to a dollar.

I found these little frames 4/$1.00, in perfect condition. I could have put little pictures in them, but opted to place my pressed flowers in them and use them on top of gift boxes, in place of cards. It was a pretty touch, and cheaper than a card or a bow.

By Deb from East Brunswick, NJ

47 More Solutions

Being an avid crafter, I often make projects that require a circle cut from something. I would search through the house, finding an item that was the correct size circle, such as a can of soup.

Don't throw away any old or unwanted makeup and nail polish that you may have. They are a wonderful alternative to crayons, paint markers, or coloring pencils.

I use mine when making cards with stamps. The eyeshadow blends very well in place of colored pencils.

A bolt of white ribbon got rained on and I thought it was ruined, but being frugal, I ran water over it to clean it off. I then dropped red and green food color on both edges of the rolled up wet ribbon.

Dyed ribbon hanging to dry.

A very inexpensive way to get a wreath form is to buy the pipe insulation that has a slit in it in the size you need and form it in a circle. This insulation is firm and is a dark charcoal gray.

There are over 1,200 Michaels Stores - art supplies, crafts, framing around the world. At the end of each season - items that are unable to be sold may be offered in grab bags (stores may vary).

Seasonal items will be stuffed in a bag and sold for only $4!

Buy Grab Bags to Save Money on Craft Supplies - closeup of ribbons and cording

I found this lovely holiday bath pouf on sale for a dollar. I love the color green and the gold edging that sparkles.

Have the wrong color lace for your project? No problem if you have food coloring. I often use different colors of lace in my projects. If I don't have the color I need, I just put it in a disposable cup with water and several drops of food coloring.

Here's a way for crafters to save money. I use wallboard joint compound as a dimensional paste in crafting. You can buy it at hardware or home improvement stores. At Lowe's I bought a 3 lb. container for $2.

I do a lot of card making. Stock paper isn't really cheap, so if I have left over sentiments or papers from cutting out projects. I put them all in a basket next to my computer desk. Then if I need something, it is usually right there in the basket.

As an avid crafter, I am always looking for ways to save money on supplies. I often experiment with ideas in hopes that I can recreate an item that will last longer and cost less.

Save on Textured Snow

This is a thrifty sewing tip and a word of caution. The second hand store is a good place to pick up sewing supplies. I bought a one gallon bag full of miscellaneous supplies.

I got at least $30.00 worth of usable supplies in a bag I paid $2.00 for.

Save on craft supplies by shopping at thrift stores. If you like to craft or have just a single project to make, you can't go wrong by checking out some thrift stores before purchasing new supplies.

Angel made from thrift store purchases

Before tossing out shopping bags, see if you can salvage any pieces. This Victoria's Secret bag has had it's fair share of being recycled/reused.

I was able to salvage the ribbon and it will be perfect to use for crafting!

Save Ribbon from Shopping Bag for Crafting

I am a jewelry "remaker". I buy old and create one of a kind "new" stuff.

spool of fishing line

Tips for saving money on beads for doing beadwork. If you make costume jewelry using beads, consider shopping in thrift stores. Some of the best quality beads, such as crystal, can be found that way for restringing.

All are much less costly than in craft stores.

A colorful array of beads

Load More

Crafts AdviceDecember 3, 2012
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-On-Craft-Supplies.html