Saving Money on Craft Supplies

There are many ways to reduce the cost of craft projects. This guide is about saving money on craft supplies.

Garage sales are great. There is such an endless variety, and you never know what you will find. If you're into crafting the garage sale can be a goldmine. The goldmine is the joy you feel when you see a table full of fabric, a box filled with skeins of yarn, dozens of frames and pictures, and all priced from 10 cents to a dollar.

I found these little frames 4/$1.00, in perfect condition. I could have put little pictures in them, but opted to place my pressed flowers in them and use them on top of gift boxes, in place of cards. It was a pretty touch, and cheaper than a card or a bow.

By Deb from East Brunswick, NJ

Being an avid crafter, I often make projects that require a circle cut from something. I would search through the house, finding an item that was the correct size circle, such as a can of soup.

I finally took a few moments one day and armed with scraps of cardboard I had saved from empty cereal boxes and such, (one never knows when one needs a piece of cardboard!), I roamed through my rooms tracing different size circles onto the cardboard. I then measured each and wrote the size inside the circle. I cut them all out and keep them as templates.

Now when I need a circle of any size, it's right there within reach. Works great!

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Don't throw away any old or unwanted makeup and nail polish that you may have. They are a wonderful alternative to crayons, paint markers, or coloring pencils.

I use mine when making cards with stamps. The eyeshadow blends very well in place of colored pencils. Blushes and powders work well also. The glitter polish and eyeshadow work very well when you want to add some shimmer and glitter to a card or craft.

Use your imagination and you will be using all of your old makeup instead of trashing it.

By tricia minter

A bolt of white ribbon got rained on and I thought it was ruined, but being frugal, I ran water over it to clean it off. I then dropped red and green food color on both edges of the rolled up wet ribbon.

A very inexpensive way to get a wreath form is to buy the pipe insulation that has a slit in it in the size you need and form it in a circle. This insulation is firm and is a dark charcoal gray.

There are over 1,200 Michaels Stores - art supplies, crafts, framing around the world. At the end of each season - items that are unable to be sold may be offered in grab bags (stores may vary).

Seasonal items will be stuffed in a bag and sold for only $4!

Have the wrong color lace for your project? No problem if you have food coloring. I often use different colors of lace in my projects. If I don't have the color I need, I just put it in a disposable cup with water and several drops of food coloring.

Here's a way for crafters to save money. I use wallboard joint compound as a dimensional paste in crafting. You can buy it at hardware or home improvement stores. At Lowe's I bought a 3 lb. container for $2.

I do a lot of card making. Stock paper isn't really cheap, so if I have left over sentiments or papers from cutting out projects. I put them all in a basket next to my computer desk. Then if I need something, it is usually right there in the basket.

As an avid crafter, I am always looking for ways to save money on supplies. I often experiment with ideas in hopes that I can recreate an item that will last longer and cost less.

This is a thrifty sewing tip and a word of caution. The second hand store is a good place to pick up sewing supplies. I bought a one gallon bag full of miscellaneous supplies.

I got at least $30.00 worth of usable supplies in a bag I paid $2.00 for.

Save on craft supplies by shopping at thrift stores. If you like to craft or have just a single project to make, you can't go wrong by checking out some thrift stores before purchasing new supplies.

I am a jewelry "remaker". I buy old and create one of a kind "new" stuff.

Tips for saving money on beads for doing beadwork. If you make costume jewelry using beads, consider shopping in thrift stores. Some of the best quality beads, such as crystal, can be found that way for restringing.

All are much less costly than in craft stores.

Some of the fat quarters that I purchase, especially those from Jo-Ann Fabrics are folded around a thin cardboard square.

I love to do crafts, but on a tight income it is often too expensive. Then I hit on the idea of entering them in the county fair. I use the premium money for more craft materials to enter the next year.

I recently purchased a tank top sweater with beaded fringe around the bottom edge at a local thrift store for $3.75. When I got home and carefully inspected it, I noticed that two strands of the beads were missing.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Next time you buy a pair of kids' shoes, keep the elastic string that keeps them together - don't throw it away! Just untie the knot and you've got a wonderful piece of craft string for bracelets and things.

I just found a way to get free copper wire. I went to a construction dumpster. The contractor has to pay by the pound to have it hauled awayl

For those of you who use polyester stuffing to make animals or pillows, look in the Christmas section after Christmas when they put all of it on sale. I got bags of polyester fill for 75% off last year.

Save money on paper and canvas by using a paper bag instead. I found creating art to be an expensive process, so I began using paper bags to save money in place of canvas. They are free and a great form of recycling.

I find that a great deal of things sold at thrift stores are 2nd hand but not used. I have found zippers still in their sleeves for .25, or a savings of about 900%.

Hubby plays the guitar, and I found some of his discarded metal strings in the trash. I thought - hmm! I could use the wire for my craft projects, especially the jewelry I am putting together, so I kept it for future use!

When going to thrift shops or yard sales, I look for craft kits that have beads, sequins, embroidery thread, etc. Even if the kit is outdated or ugly, I use the materials inside to create my own crafts.

Keep the used baby wipes and dryer sheets, for great backing for appliqueing. They should be washed first, by putting them in the mesh bag that you use for delicate clothing in for machine washing.

Before tossing out shopping bags, see if you can salvage any pieces. This Victoria's Secret bag has had it's fair share of being recycled/reused. I was able to salvage the ribbon and it will be perfect to use for crafting!

Load More