InvestingBudget & Finance

Finding The Best CD Rate

Where is the best place to get a good CD rate at present time?

By brojrs from Murray, KY

bankrate.com

Thanks foxrun41, I'll check that site out. I've got a small amount that I would like to invest for a couple of years. Jack

Just in case: If you or a family member is in the military or is a US government employee, you can join Pentagon Federal and get very good rates. There are a few other groups that qualify, too. Go to

https://www.pen  oin/overview.asp to check. Good luck!

Thanks straightface, I'll look there. Appreciate the help and info. Jack

Bankrate.com is a start, but then check local credit unions and watch your paper for specials. A few months ago I got a 5 year CD at 3.6% while on bankrate they were paying around 3%.

Bankrate is a great site as are your local banks and credit unions, call around and ask for the best rate. I recently renewed a CD and had my banker advise me to go with the shorter term, even though the rate was lower than the 2 or 3 year CD's as most financial "experts" are expecting the rates to increase in the next 12 to 18 months. So go with a 12 Month CD at 1.5% or better and hope for grater returns in the "near" future.

Hi, Jack.

I'm no financial expert, but I'd highly recommend a credit union for just about everything. My hubby (an Army vet) and I are both member-owners at our local credit union, and since I tend to keep more in my savings than the minimum $5 like hubby does, I earn a whopping 7% APY. And that's just for the TrueSaver account at the Associate level! You don't even have to be military anymore, a lot of credit unions, even military ones, are welcoming folks from all walks of life.

When I was still with Huntington National Bank, the best rate I could get on a CD was 5% for a 12-month CD. Additionally, a savings account has no penalty for withdrawals and is accessible in case of unexpected need.

Hope this little anecdote helps... best to you! JustPlainJo, Ohio

Thanks for all the good advice, I'm so grateful. Found local bank that gives a good rate on a checking account, but you use a debt card, and it's all online statements, etc. May give it a try.