How To Use A Ham Bone

Any one know of a recipe that I can use a ham bone in? I had a huge ham in my freezer that I finally got around to cooking and dividing up for dinners and lunches. Now I have a this ham bone and I don't want to waste it. When I had my dog, this was not a problem. Now that he is gone, I want to make a soup or something out of it. Thanks for your help.

Hi, I have done this a couple of times with holiday hams. I just make a broth, similar to making a chicken or turkey stock. I would cover the ham bone in several cups of water. Add a cut up onion, some carrot and celery (with leaves), a bay leaf and some peppercorns. If you have some fatty meat to add, this will just make it richer. Simmer this for a few hours, stirring and breaking up the bone occasionally. Strain and cool to skim the fat off the top (I usually refrigerate overnight).

Then use the broth to make a bean soup. I get the package of 16 bean soup and follow the directions on the package but throw away the ham seasoning packet (or save it for something else) and use the broth instead of the water after the beans have soaked. It has always been delicious!

Jess

I usually make Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

Any dry bean is better with a ham bone. My favorites are lima or blackeye peas. Soak beans overnight, rinse, add fresh water and hambone, season as needed, and simmer until done. You can make soup the same way. Choose a mixed dry bean, canned tomatoes, onion, celery, and bay leaves. Cook up some fresh cornbread and either one is cheap, filling, nutritous, and overall excellent meal.

Make a boiled dinner.

Boil the ham bone in water - add cabbage wedges, potatoes, Rutabaga, carrots, wedged onions and some extra meat if you have it. cook til done. Yummy.

Split pea soup and a ham bone, heaven!

What else? Pea soup. The only reason I buy a ham is to get the bone for pea soup

Put the bone in water in a big pot, add chopped cabbage and boil until cabbage starts getting soft, then peel potatoes and cut into small chunks, add to the pot and salt and pepper to taste. Let cook until all is soft and pour into soup bowls, serve with bread and butter and enjoy. Also, boil bone, add salt and pepper and add cubed potatoes. In another pot, cook farfalle (bow ties) until tender, drain. After potatoes are tender, add the bow ties and simmer for about 10 min. Serve.

My all time favorite use(s) for a ham bone are either homemade split pea soup or lima beans and hamhocks or use a ham bone instead. Just put the beans in water (sometimes soaking overnight) or use a crock pot, add onions and other vegys and had the ham bone and let cook most of the day on med-low heat, checking the water level once in awhile.

My favorite way is to boil it until meat is loose, and you can remove bones. Add a large can of crushed tomatoes, a can of Rotel tomatoes, (I use mild), one or two large chopped onions, and one cup of brown rice. Stir and return to boiling, addint salt and pepper,cover, and cook on low heat for about and hour. Check 2 or 3 times during cooking to be sure it is consistancy you like. If needed, a smaller can of tomatoes, tomato sause, puree, or tomato soup may be stirred in. More of any of ingredients may be used if larger batch is desired. I usually freeze some of it for later in a glass jars.

Make lentil, or split pea soup you can usually find the recipe on bags of dried beans. For split pea just boil the ham bone for about 2 hours, remove and add dried peas and finely chopped carrots, celery and onion. You can also add broken of spaghetti. Try it it's good! The ham will be very tender so you can add it to the soup too.

I love to make Ham and Bean soup. :)

Hambone & beans; I also add the few bits of ham that are left over from making sandwiches. Tip: After washing beans, add cold water and 1/4 tsp soda, bring to boil, remove from heat & soak for 1 hour; drain & rinse well in colander. Then add to ham bone & cold water (bone may be pre-cooked , if you like, in which case you may add the beans to the hot ham bone & broth). Cut up an onion and garlic, as well, if you like (I add my garlic about 10 min before serving as the garlic is much stronger-tasting) then cook till done. The soda removes the gas from the beans that causes bloating and discomfort!