Cleaning the Door Seal on a Front Load Washer

How do I get rid of black mould, in the fold of the rubber seal of a washing machine?

By Tizzyfluff from Fife, Scotland

You should probably replace the seal itself rather than trying to clean it. Mold is nothing to mess with :-(

I sprayed mine with white vinegar, left it for a while, then cleaned it out with paper towels. Not perfect but made a huge difference!

May 15, 2010 Flag

Can you tell me how to remove a mildew stain from a washing machine door gasket? Many thanks.

By Dutch from Maidstone, England

Answers:

I have this problem frequently and one thing that helps after you clean is to keep the door open all the time to air it out. For cleaning, run a load of clothes that can stand bleach or do old rags or something (so the washer has something in it, since water usage is based on the load size). Then take those Clorox bleach wipes and wipe down where you can. I sometimes takes a few times. You also can try vinegar. That has been hit or miss for me. (01/27/2010)

By Allison5

First, leave the door open when you are not using it. Then, try wiping it with a microfiber cloths. Those absorb water so quickly and completely. Leaving the door open works for our front-loader; that's what laundermats do, leave all their washers open to prevent odors and mold. (02/21/2010)

By Pammy50

January 27, 2010 Flag

How do we clean the rubber seal on our front loading washing machine? It's the seal that goes around the front of the washer. We've run bleach through it a couple of times, but it still looks gooey. Any ideas would be appreciated.

By JillyD from Sacramento

Answers:

I use an old toothbrush and toothpaste on the fridge/freezer door seals to keep them clean. I would imagine that it would work on washing machines, too. I would use a cotton cloth and generous amounts of a cheap toothpaste.
Let us know how you get on.

Monique (12/29/2009)

By Monique63

I had the same problem, only mine smelled like mildew. I found using the bleach to wipe the rubber helped and also leaving the door open when not in use helped the rubber to dry. Instead of staying damp all the time.

Hope this helps. Sheila (01/02/2010)

By Pennypacer

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesMay 15, 2010
view down into top load washer during wash cycle
Cleaning a Top Load Washing Machine
Front Loading Washer
Buying a Front Loading Washer With Reversible Door
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Front Load Washer
Front Load Washer Makes Noise During Final Rinse Cycle
🎄