Kitten Urinating on Everything

My kitten started urinating on my bed. She did this about 3 times so we close our door so she can't get in. She then urinated on our son's dirty laundry so we started closing all of the bedroom doors in our house. She then urinated on my other sons backpack.

She still also uses the litter box. We have now confined her to the basement where her litter box is and we only let her up when we can watch her. She has done really well this week, but will we ever be able to trust her so she can have free roam of the house?

Carin from Detroit, MI

Maybe she's trying to "possess" you because she loves you all so much? Maybe getting another kitten would help.

Hi, I have a cat that has started doing this. She used to be really good at using the litter box but now she goes on anything that is on the floor (rugs, blankets, clothes, even papers).. it's a real pain. I started cleaning the box out every time I go past it (so it's being cleaned 2-4 times a day) and now she's back to using the litter box! Maybe your cat is just prissy like mine & won't go into a "used" litter box?

This is a more common than you may think. The first and most important step is to get the cat to a vet for a test for a urinary tract infection. Probably 75% of changes of this kind of behavior is caused by this.

I would take her to the vet as soon as I could and make sure that she doesn't have a urinary tract infection. My cat, Wasabi, gets them every 6 months or so and it's the only time he ever pees anywhere other than his box. It might just be that she has one too and going on your stuff is the only way that she knows how to tell you she's in pain. Also, if you've ever suffered from a UTI, you'll remember the urgency of having to go RIGHT THEN. She might have just not been able to hold it. Hope this helps you out some!

She may have a urinary tract infection.

If she checks out OK at the vet, consider what might be upsetting her-- anything new in the household, increased traffic around her litterbox so she doesn't feel safe there, another cat prowling outside the windows. I've known cats that don't want to use a "used" litterbox, or want the litter smoothed flat. (Hey, we all have our crochets too.) Check cat care websites for more advice. Don't give up on your furry kid!

We had a cat that would urinate on my son's bed anytime he forgot to clean the litterbox first thing in the morning. As long as the litterbox was cleaned, the kitty would not urinate anywhere else.

My cat started this and I found that the oder control in the cat litter had the same or similar odor as fabric softener I used in my washer. I quit using odor control cat litter and he quit using my bed for a litter box. Betty Webb

A white cat sitting on a couch.
Preventing a Cat from Peeing Everywhere
Pets CatsJanuary 25, 2008
One Month Old Kittens
Feeding a One Month Old Kitten
Flea Bath
Giving a Kitten a Flea Bath
Black and White Kitten
Adopting a Kitten
Teething Kitten
Teething Kitten Advice
🎉
🎄