Preventing Tarnish on Stored Silver Jewelry

How can I store my silver jewelry so that it won't tarnish?

By Vicki from AZ

There are anti-tarnish strips made by 3M. I think other companies make them, too. Store your pieces in a plastic zip bag with an anti-tarnish strip. They have to be replaced periodically. I make jewelry, and I use the strips. Alternatively, you could put a piece of chalk into the zip bag with your jewelry. That should slow down the process, too.

I've used my system for years and rarely have to repolish my silver.

Ziplock makes some food storage bags that you use a pump that comes with them to suck all the air out. I put my newly polished silver in one of these and remove all the air. I use as many bags as needed. For large pieces I used my electric vacuum sealer and "created" bags to fit them by cuttng and sealing seams, then sucked all the air out. After all the silver is in bags, I put the whole shebang into a black plastic bag. There are 2 things that will tarnish sliver: air and light. This blocks both. And can be re-used over and over.

Now when I use my silver, I just pull it out of the bags, use it. Then I wash it thoroughly. IF there are any spots that need a little polish (usually there's not) then I polilsh what's needed and re-bag them.

I've kept silver this way for years and didn't need to polilsh any of it when I needed it next.

The antitarnish strips work really well. If you have a storage box for your silverware that keeps it from tarnishing, you could keep your jewelery in there, if you don't wear it very often. You might also try those bags of silica or whatever it is that always comes with assorted things like electronics that absorbs the moisture. They might also work; however, the anti tarnish strips which you should be able to get at a jewelery store (or likely WalMart) are made just for this job, and last for a long time in my climate.