Clothing Wetter Than Normal After Washing

My clothes in my washer aren't coming out as dry as they once were. Could the spin cycle slow down. They are taking twice as long to dry in the dryer, so this is the only answer I can come to. Any suggestions?

By Kat

When the load is done and the clothes are too wet, try turning the dial to another spin cycle and try to spin out more moisture. You probably have to have your washer serviced.

Too large of a wash load can cause the washer to slow down in the spin cycle or an unbalanced load.

Another simple solution could be that there is a lint buildup in the discharge lines [thus limiting the amount of water being drained]. The washing machine is equipped with timers; not sensors. Pull the drain hose out from the drain line and verify if the line is clean. If so, make sure there isn't a lint buildup in the washer itself; just a theory!

Sometimes there is a clog in the drainage hose.When my children were babies I got a tiny sock hung in the drainage hose I t is very easy to remedy; just turn off the water and disconnect both ends of the hose and check. If that is not the problem you may need a new pump.

Okay, I'm really not an expert, but could be your belt needs tightening? Or perhaps your pump is getting old. If running it through a second spin cycle isn't practicable, maybe you could hang lighter items to drip dry in the bath tub. Also, if necessary, wring items out by hand before putting them into the dryer.

These are only temporary fixes, of course. Looks like you're going to need an appliance repair person, unless you or spouse are handy.

November 26, 2009 Flag

My clothes come out wetter than before in the wash. It seems like the spin cycle doesn't work, or it's just not draining the water out right anymore. Any advice?

Frank from Lake Peekskill, NY

Answers:

Your sink may not be draining fast enough and the water is going back into the washer through the hose.

I recently had this exact same problem. Once I cleared the clog in my drain that was causing it to drain slowly, no more water was remaining in my clothes or in the bottom of my washer. (05/18/2007)

By Gina

My hubby is a appliance repairman so this is it, either as the advice before, your drain is backing up, or your pump is going out and could be your clothes or not spinning. If you can watch it for a whole load of wash to see what is doing or not doing. If not you will have to get a repairman in to fix unless you can do some repairs. Good luck.

Dar in Texas (05/18/2007)

By lazidd

You may have something caught in your washer pump that is not letting the water all spin out. When I worked with appliance repair people we called it "a sock in the pump". I have even taken t shirts out of the pump. Sometimes the water will not spin out at all; that is when something is caught in your pump, but it may just be something small not letting it spin out properly. A repair man can fix it in no time. I know it is unbelievable what repairmen cost now. (05/18/2007)

By Mary Ann

I found a baby sock in the pump of my washer. I removed it myself by removing the pump and taking it apart. That was from an old washer many years ago. Figured I didn't have anything to lose at the time and had lots of wash to do. I've also had the drain clogged so the water would go back into the washer. Could be either one.

Susan from ThriftyFun (05/18/2007)

By ThriftyFun

Once I had this problem it was the intake of the washer leaking. If I got the clothes out fast after the load stopped they weren't wet. It was dripping water as they sat there. Check that. Also you can put them on spin only for the time being to get them spun out for the dryer. (05/18/2007)

By Patti

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersNovember 26, 2009
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Closeup of African American Man with Dreadlocks
Washing Dreadlocks
Hand Washing Delicate Clothing
Hand Washing Delicate Clothing
🎉
🎄