Hand Washing Delicate Clothing

Category Laundry
Hand Washing Delicate Clothing
Certain pieces of delicate clothing call for hand washing. This is a guide about hand washing delicate clothing.

Do you often hand wash delicate items such as hosiery or bras? For an easier way to wring out the water, keep a spare salad spinner under your sink! People with painful arthritic hands, or those recovering from surgery, may find it especially difficult to squeeze items dry. The center push-button or battery operated type spinners make the job very easy. Even the inexpensive crank ones work, in about a dozen turns and will hold two or three items.

By Mary from Mountain Pine, AR

If you have a sweater or a piece of clothing you have to hand wash, it can take forever to dry. Try putting it into your salad spinner, and it will remove a lot of excess water, and dry faster.

When I used to get shower gel in an expensive perfume gift set. I learned that the shower gel is just delicate enough to use on my delicates. Since a lot of bras and panties need to be hand-washed anyway, why not treat yourself and wash them in your favorite perfumed shower gel? Especially in the summer, since there is a light lingering fragrance now on your delicates as you wear them. I get a little red in the face when I'm at a picnic and someone asks what smells so nice. I tell them it's lotion when I'm only wearing sunscreen.

By PATIOELF from Ewing, NJ

Can you hand wash velvet in Woolite? I have a black velvet dress (100% rayon velvet bodice, 100% polyester crepe skirt) that I bought at a consignment shop. There are no obvious spots, but I would like to"freshen" it up. Also, I have a 100% silk dress with a 100% pure polyester lining which says "Spot clean only, do not dry clean", but I would like to wash it in Woolite and air dry also. It has some bead work, and appears to be a "Pageant" dress. Is this safe to gently soak in cold water and Woolite?

By S.F. Poole from Beaverton, AL