Cat Won't Pee in Litter Box

My cat will poop in the litter box, but won't pee in it. What could be the matter?

By Lisa from San Antonio, TX

Usually this is an indication of a urinary tract infection. They think the litter particles are causing the pain they feel when they pee so they avoid it. You need to take kitty to the vet!

Yes, a trip to the vet is most likely warranted! I have seen this behavior in my cat, and I equate it to "a cry for help" to get your attention that something is wrong. It may be something as simple as needing a course of antibiotics.

I have a male Persian cat and he is peeing almost everywhere and not using the litterbox at all. But in the case of poop, he uses the litter box or the bathroom very properly. Please help me find solution; it's urgent.

By Afrin from Navi Mumbai, India

Please take him to your Veterinarian for a checkup. There might be an underlying medical problem.

My cat is having the same issue. He's 19ish. We've taken him to the vet numerous times and the vet says it's kidney related but no UTI what so ever. We've got 5-6 different size boxes spread out amongst the 2 floors. We've tried different types of litter.

When he does go, it's like he backs up and just goes. But if you put him in the box or lock him in the bathroom for 10-15 minutes he won't go. All the corners of our house reek of pee.

We've tried every cleaning product on the market. We have 3 other cats and a dog but everyone gets along really well. Help!

In order to get rid of the smell of cat urine use peroxide. Just pour it on the area and let it soak in. Works wonderful best thing out there to get rid of the smell of cat pee

Anonymous

I have an 18 year old cat,arthritis and have tried boundary,odo-bam,cat odor eliminator and nothing works. Husband shampoos carpet weekly,scoops box daily without success. Shadow still has 2 pee spots used always and poos in box!! One pp spot is about 2 feet in front of litter box.. HELP!!

My older cat uses her cat box to poop, but when it comes to peeing she has been peeing all over the house. I bought puppy pees pads and she is using them. I just don't know what to do.

By Christy

That is the classic sign of a bladder infection in cats. Be sure and get her to the Vet to be checked. The infections are quite painful, so dont wait.

1. Change the kind of litter. 2. Add another litter box 3. Take her to vet to make sure she is ok. 4. Scrub the box you have with basic cleanser and hot soapy water. even if you cant smell it, she can ( been there, done that, made the changes). Normally it's the simple things that make the difference and solve the problem. :)

Our daughter had a cat that started doing that and it was a bladder or kidney infection. I think it would be wise to have that checked.

lifn2ndgear, that's a beautiful cat. Love the heart shaped black spot.