Unexpected Household Savings

Here are a few easy ideas to save a few pennies.

• Replace some of your paper towel usages with micro fiber towels. Great for cleaning up glass tables, the stainless steel sink and kitchen appliances (available at the dollar store).

• "Rent" movies from your library for free.

• Use rechargeable batteries

• Chop and grate your own cheese for shredded cheese or cheese cubes

• Dice vegetables that are near the end of their shelf life and freeze (diced potatoes for fried potatoes, carrots and celery for soups).

• Keep an electronic list instead of a paper one (try Cozi.com).

• Print on-line coupons only right before you head out the door for shopping to avoid costly ink usage on coupons you never use.

By skibum1910 from Prospect, KY

Really good ideas here!

One more about coupons is that there are stores that allow you to download particular coupons to that particular stores 'club card' and that saves using any ink at all :-) I learned about that because Safeway does it :-)

http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Coupons

I save pennies in a variety of ways, across the board. I (of course) turn off the tap when brushing my teeth, and don't wait for the water temperature to be "just right" for handwashing, etc. I'm notorious for going around unplugging those "energy vampires" like the coffee pot, toaster and microwave when they're not in use.

Since I use screen-reading software for the visually impaired, I only occasionally turn on my computer monitor for the convenience of a sighted assistant. Since I only occasionally need to print or shred papers, those stay turned off. I even recently relocated my shredder to a new location. Its surge suppressor stays turned off until it's needed.

As for "saving a few pennies," I literally do that, lol! I periodically sort through the loose change hubby leaves lying around and all pennies go into my owl bank. Those get wrapped and cashed in for paper money or spent, depending how tight finances are at the time.

Couple Working on Household Expenses
Saving Money on Household Expenses
Better Living Frugal Living TipsFebruary 8, 2010
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Home Emergency Kit
Making a Home Emergency Kit
Couple Using Online Savings Institution
Choosing the Best Online Savings Institution
Sap spot and cleaning supplies.
Removing Tree Sap on Microfiber
🎄
🍂