Use Sour Cream as an Egg Substitute

My husband and I are vegetarians, and have found that one heaping tablespoon of sour cream equals one egg in any recipe. It works in any baking recipe I've tried (we cook a lot). Try it yourself. Makes a healthy and frugal alternative in your cooking.

By Davidicdancer from Spokane, WA

I have a silly sort of question re: being a vegatarian. yes to dairy no to eggs? My brother is a yes to dairy-no on eggs yes on fish if wild..?

confused meat eater

Hi lazateda. Just to explain; I have been a lacto-vegetarian for 25 years. it's "no" to meat, fish and eggs but "yes" to anything else - including dairy! Simple, really.

Nice tip to share! I do this for recipes that aren't going to be cooked but require raw eggs, for example, Caesar Salad Dressing ;-)

To Lazateda: there are people who define themselves as "vegetarians" but eat flesh, which doesn't make sense to me. My husband and I don't eat anything that has a face or could have a face. We do eat dairy. There is another sort of Vegan thing that doesn't eat even the by-product of an animal (dairy), but we are not that.

Deeli: thanks for the comment. Try it in recipes that require cooking the egg--make cookies! It is SO much cheaper.

ps to all: this is a post about using sour cream as a substitute for egg, not as a vegetarian lifestyle as a substitute for eating flesh.

empty egg carton
Substitution For Eggs in Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsDecember 4, 2009
Lowfat Sour Cream
Making Lowfat Sour Cream
Meatloaf with several slices ready to be served
Substitution for Eggs in Meatloaf
Baking Recipes Without Eggs
Baking Recipes Without Eggs
fresh delicious sour cream
Homemade Sour Cream Recipes
🎉
🎄