Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Displaying Pierced Earrings for a Garage Sale

I am spending these cold winter months sorting through things I no longer want/need for a spring garage sale. Can someone give me some ideas on how to organize and display pierced earrings I no longer want, that is fast and convenient for the shoppers (and me)? Thank you.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

By Cecilia04/05/2011

I use a fireplace screen made of wrought iron. It is heavy but has a screen on the 3 sections. I set it on a table and put many earrings though the screen. I then add round clear shower curtain hooks and place bracelets and necklaces on the top bar. Makes a great jewelry display. These fireplace screens are easily found in Thrift stores and garage sales.

By Carol [4]03/19/2011

I save the card dividers that they toss after the holiday is over, as in Mother's Day, Valentines, etc. I ask the drug store to save the envelopes and dividers they toss for me and I cut them up while watching TV at night and use a dental tool or an one-edge blade to make my holes since a ball-point bends up the card too bad. I also cut the divider cards saving some of the pretty colors as part of the display color on the card (ear ring card)- You have to go and pick them up from drug store probably next day after the holiday. I also tack these onto a bulletin board with straight pins and they just take the one or two cards they want and I do not have to stand there unplugging anything from behind, also I put my extras on a table top or in a basket. Hope this works for you. It looks real good and draws attention.

By Eileen M. [53]02/02/2011

I would suggest cutting 3x5 index cards in half (makes them 3x2.5) and poke holes for the earrings to go through. This way you can put the price on the card and not lose the backings.

By Eileen M. [53]02/02/2011

By Kathy [51]02/02/2011

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I especially love the one from hbuttrill about using the egg cartons. Why didn't I think of that! Hugs to all who replied. Kathy

By Helen02/01/2011

Buy a 2 1/2 dozen carton of eggs. Cut the top off and put a pair of earrings in each of the egg cups.

By Kath [2]02/01/2011

An attractive way to display earrings whether in your home or for sale is to staple a piece of screening to the inside of an old picture frame. At a crafts fair I displayed my earrings for sale hanging from a tree branch that had many arms, anchored in a plant pot.

By Rosemary [8]02/01/2011

They have place mats that look like a waffle style. (I seen this done at a thrift store. They cut the matt in small pieces in order to hold the earrings. Just put the earring through the holes and fasten . Then you can display they on a cork bulletin board or something like that. Cover the cork board with a light colored fabric as to show off the earrings .
Hope this help. good luck with your sale.
Rosemary in Ohio

By AuntieBim [3]01/31/2011

Yes, looks like my ideas are already here. I was helping a local thrift shop sort and organize donated jewelry, some single earrings added to a chain became necklaces an' such. When I was sorting items, I had a large sheet of styrofoam that I stuck the earrings into. When I had them all sorted and paired up, I cut pieces of cardboard, actually like file cards, not too thick and poked the posts through & added the backing on the reverse side. To keep from bending the posts (some were quite fragile), I just poked a couple holes in the cardboard with a pin or needle and then added the earrings. You don't want the hole to be too big, or the earrings might slip off. The easier it is for people to see the jewelry, the easier it will be to sell. Good luck!

By Kathy01/31/2011

We use baggies. Put necklaces, earrings, etc in little snack size Ziploc bags. Ofter times I will "group" items too, like a baggie full of hoop earrings for 2 or 3 dollars instead of selling it by the pair. Ziplocs work for grouping many items, old crayons, bath items, little kitchen gadgets, etc. They sell much better this way.

By Cindy [3]01/31/2011

This may sound a bit crude, but if you have an old screen for a door or window it is quite easy and very inexpensive. Simply cut small squares of fabric or construction paper to accommodate the size of the earrings and attach each setting to the screen with a stapler. Prop the screen up (on a table or on the ground) so that they are all nicely displayed. If someone happens to pull the pair from the screen by the staple and decide not to buy them, you can easily reattach for the the next customer to view.

If you don't have a framed screen to use spend a few bucks at the hardware store for a pierced metal screen (usually in a 24" x 36" rectangle), hook the earrings in pairs and keep by the "cash out" place. Again, if your customers change their minds, they are not hard to reattach.

For good measure in either circumstance, keep a bit of extra tissue paper to wrap the earrings in, near the cash out place, to help your customers get them home in their respective pairs! Good luck with your sale!

By Cindy [3]01/31/2011

By Cricket [201]01/30/2011

One thing that would be very fast, inexpensive and easy for you and your customsers would be to use a sheet of plastic canvas. One sheet only costs around 20-35 cents (depending on the size you need). Then you could get one or two sheets of felt (black would be a good color because it would show off any color or style of earrings nicely, but you could use any color you want). Glue the felt onto the plastic canvas just around the edges. Then you could poke the earrings through and put the backs on from behind.

By Rose Smith [44]01/30/2011

I use my scrapbook scissors and cut small pieces of scrapbook paper to fit the earrings. This way the customer can just take the earrings they want. Plus you can put the price right on the paper.

By Joan [13]01/30/2011

The people that I know just use lightweight cardboard and cut to the approximate size that earrings come on when you buy them. Mark the price on them and keep them on the same table where people pay for the merchandise. That way you don't have to remove them from a display area. It saves time when people are waiting to pay for something at the sale. You can prepare the cards while watching TV.

By Barb Kominek [2]01/30/2011

If you happen to have an embroidery hoop and any kind of material, you just stretch the fabric into the hoop and display the earrings like that, you can also attach a small sale price sticker near each pair of earrings. I have used this method to just store my earrings and hang it on the wall, That way they are always handy! Good luck!

By jean leiner [12]01/30/2011

You could get a piece of styrofoam from packaging, and stick the posts/hooks in it and set it on a table.