Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Use Wax for a Shiny Vinyl Floor

If you have vinyl floors and wish to make them look new and very-very shiny, as well as giving them protection and easier to wipe clean, do the following:

Get a small bucket with some warm water, a little white vinegar, a couple rags and a box of SOS Brillo Pads. Any brand Brillo Pad can be used. One section at a time, wet floor and then scrub with Brillo Pad. Make sure not to miss any spots. This will remove old wax, scuffs and dirt. Wipe up all soap residue from Brillo Pads.

Next dampen a small rag with water, wring out. Squirt on Future Floor Wax, spread evenly over floor with rag. Let dry. I put a fan blowing on the area to hurry the drying process. I also open windows to let out fumes from wax.

When wax is dry, add another layer and let dry. Add one more layer and let dry.

I have lived in apartments that had vinyl from the 1940's and using this process, have had people think the floor was wet, it was so shiny. It actually has depth, like glass or water. Back in the early 70's, a woman with 11 children put this recipe into the local newspaper. She said it made her life so much easier and her floors looked shiny and new all the time. It made weekly clean up and spills a snap. She added 6 or 7 coats of wax. I used this many coats of wax on that old 1940's floor and it looked like a new vinyl job. When I moved into this old place, the floor was dark from many years of neglect. Every mark and scratch disappeared after the treatment.

It is the small microscopic scratches or scuffs that make floors difficult to clean as the dirt seeps into the cracks and the floor never really looks clean. I also do this to new vinyl floors as well to protect them and give them a long and shiny life.

By Trisha from West Vancouver, BC

By

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Ariela [31]01/04/2009

Many times I have had to scrub off future floor wax because of yellowing on floors. It was difficult and time consuming. These days the vinyl flooring is good and withstands much abuse. I do not miss scrubbing off wax from flooring thats for sure.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.