Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

Does anybody know how to easily remove baked on stains from my clear Pyrex bake ware? I soak and scrub to no avail. We have well water, so I prefer solutions that work with that. Thanks - all replies appreciated!

Cathy from Delaware

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Chayil (Guest Post)01/04/2009

Soak the gunk in vinegar, scrub a little, and dump out (but don't rinse). Then soak in a baking soda paste, scrub a little, and dump out (but don't rinse). Keep doing that until the gunk is gone.

This works because both products will occasionally work on their own. But also, when switching back and forth without rinsing between the two, they interact in a chemical reaction that produces salt, water, and heat. This is almost always enough to get rid of any gunk.

If the gunk is cooked-on grease or oil, try Dawn Power Degreaser, but only if the above doesn't work. It's a good product in terms of effectiveness, but I'm sure we'd all prefer a less expensive and less chemically harsh solution.

By SusannL (Guest Post)04/02/2008

Barkeeper's Friend works well. It's like Comet, but works better for that purpose.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)04/01/2008

I"ve always used Comet cleanser to scour pyrex baking dishes. But I had a problem and my friend told me to try regular old baking soda to scour with. She told me that sometimes baking soda works better than scouring powder. I couldnt believe it, but she was right!

By Kim Churchman [3]03/31/2008

If you have a self-cleaning oven, it will get the brownest dish totally white with a little ash to blow away.

By nellie capell [1]03/31/2008

I have used new dryer softener sheets to clean mine before and it worked. Place cookware in a sink, run enough hot water to cover. Place a new dryer sheet in the water and swish it around a time or two. Leave in over night.

By marih820 (Guest Post)03/31/2008

If you will put a fabric softener sheet in your dish with some water and let it soak, every bit of the burned residue will wash out with very little rubbing. I have used this method on dishes and pots and pans and every time they have come clean. If it is really badly burned, let it soak over night.

By Barb03/31/2008

I am always recommending BarKeepers Friend but honestly, it really works for just about anything. Just wet it, sprinkle it on and wait a few minutes. I use a sponge with that nylon backing and it works wonders.

By Martha [5]03/30/2008

Most burnt food will come off with some effort,
But once in awhile you get a really bad scoured in burn
that nothing works for it! NOTHING!
Threw a few out over the years until one I threw out, Or so I thought I did, A month later I came across it, it had totally dried out and the burn lifted, Just easily scraped away, Pan was like new, Wetting it only made it worse, So now when I have a pan that I just give up on, I Stuff it away somewhere and forget about it for a few weeks to a month, It has never failed me yet. Burned is always lifted, if you monitor it you'll notice once it's completely dried, it will slowly start lifting, to be easily scraped away

By Dean (Guest Post)03/30/2008

User a razor blade to scrap off the heavy stuff then clean with a special glass top cleaner called Cerama Bryte. Wipe on and then wipe off with a soft cloth. The product is sold at Home Depot and Lowes or call 1-800-578-HOME. I clean my glass top stove all the time this way and it looks great.

By DOMINIQUE [16]03/29/2008

Use an arm and hammer magic eraser.. they are amazing and will take care of anything. Just wipe VERY lightly as this is an abrasive... be sure to stop as soon as the food is off. =)

By Beth/Mom2TwoVikings (Guest Post)03/29/2008

I use dishwasher soap for soaking but I heard a new idea lately...put a dryer sheet in the soak water! I've heard the "gunk" comes right out!

By (Guest Post)03/29/2008

Oven cleaner.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

How can I clean the burnt food off a glass cookware?

DJ from stockton, CA

RE: Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

There are 2 sure fire ways of doing this. If it isn't "too" baked on, you can soak in a good quality dish soap/water overnight and then use an SOS pad carefully (glass has a coating on it too). If that doesn't work, spray an oven cleaner on it and leave for a couple hours. If you haven't used oven cleaner before, be sure to wear gloves or wash your hands immediately afterwards because the cleaner will eat at your skin! Good Luck and happy cleaning. :o) (11/06/2006)

By Lorrie T

RE: Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

Try detergent for dishwashers (machines). Coat the burned on area w/ the detergent (gel or make a paste w/ the powder). Allow to 'set' overnight. Gently scrub down in layers so as to not damage the glass cookware. Repeat if necessary. (11/06/2006)

By kidsNclutter

RE: Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

Burnt Food in Pots and Pans: Sprinkle pans liberally with baking soda, adding just enough water to moisten. Let stand for several hours. You can generally lift the burnt food right out of the pan. This was from the Queen of Clean website, don't know if it will work on glass cookware, don't see why not. (11/06/2006)

By kidsNclutter

RE: Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, sold in laundry aisle at the supermarket. Cheap, non-toxic, cleans EVERYTHING. Wear gloves though. It will dry out your hands like crazy. (11/07/2006)

By Mary

RE: Burnt Food on Glass Cookware

I have also tried steel wool it actually worked (11/14/2006)

By Brenda from Texas