Furniture Damaged by Cat Pee

To my horror, I have found the back leg of one of my dressers drenched with cat pee or spray. What is the best way to take this kind of stain? The back of the dresser isn't not finishes the same way as the rest of it so it has really soaked in.

Thanks,

Lauren

Depending on the amount of damage and the color of the rest of the dresser, you can use either orange or clear shellac to seal the stain and odor in. Since the wood was previously unfinished you may not be able to get the stain out, it will have soaked deep into the wood pores. You might try Bix Stripper (available at most hardware stores and home centers) or any other stripper that says it will remove wood stain (meaning the type of stain someone intentionally used to change the color of the wood). You will have to be careful not to get the stripper on the finished part of the dresser. A mixture of toothpaste and baking soda may help, but even finished wood can easily turn black from contact with urine. Since the wood is unfininshed, you may be able to remove the stain with a bleach water solution: start with ten parts water to one part bleach in a small area. Wipe it on, let it set for a few minutes, then rinse with plenty of fresh water. Do not use bleach after you have used other products or if you plan to try other things!! This may lighten the wood a bit, but if you never see it, who cares about the color? Allow the wood to dry, then topcoat with the shellac of your choice. Shellac will seal in any remaining odor to (hopefully) prevent the cat from returning to the same spot.

Thanks Patticat, I will try what you recommend.

Try using a Zeolite powder to absorb the ammonia from the pet stains.

It has been suggested you use a bleach water solution to lighten the stain. I don't know if you've already tried this, but if you haven't, only apply bleach in a well ventilated area as it will cause a chemical reaction with the amonia base in the cat urine. The chemical released can be dangerouse to your respitory system and even deadly if inhaled in a high enough concentration, and it dosen't take much to create the reaction. I'm speaking from personal experience. NOT FUN!

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me how to remove dog odor from a sofa, I tried the freshner but nothing happened.

I have a cat that keeps peeing on our leather couch. I have tried putting moth balls on it and also cleaning it with Nature's Miracle and that doesn't seem to help either. My boyfriend is about to make me get rid of her if I can't find a solution. Please if you have any ideas let me know thanks.

Laura

I am dog sitting my aunt's dog and he is a four month old austrailian shepherd. we have a hockey table that is supposed to be set on the ground to play. It's made of wood. just today the dog peed and pooped on it. I cant get the stain out. HELP PLEASE! if you have any suggestions, email them to dragsterpup @ yahoo.com (remove spaces) .*>>>Thanx<<<*

I'm working on removing urine stains, but to keep animals from repeating this try Feliway spray, it works

We got our cat from the Humane Society and didn't know any of her past. When we brought her home, she started to pee everywere! What should we do to repel her?

I had a lovable male cat for 19 years - an old friend.He had cystitis (sp) and would often urinate outside the box. He would also go on throw rugs, clothes, or next to anything else on the floor in his attempts to tell me he was in pain, or mad, or both. My first suggestion is for ANYONE having trouble with your cat urinating outside the box.... check for blood in the urine, and even if you don't see any... get your kitty checked out by a vet! If you've ruled out health reasons... try changing the litter consistency, SIZE of the box, location of the box, etc. I eventually had to buy one of those under-the-bed storage containers for my little friend! Anyway, TO REMOVE URINE STAINS... THE BEST THING I FOUND IN 19 YEARS WAS OXYCLEAN... YOU CAN GET IT AT YOUR LOCAL GROCERY STORE IN THE LAUNDRY SUPPLY AREA. It's great for clothes, and you can use it on wood floors as well, but be careful not to overdue it on wood floors as it will bleach them. I used to mix some in hot water and pour it on the area... let sit a bit... and then wipe up. Wood floors may require scraping off any wax buildup first. Hope this helps someone out there... AND JUST SO YOU KNOW... IT WAS ALL WORTH IT IN THE END. MY FRIEND HAS BEEN GONE NOW FOR THREE YEARS, BUT I DO NOT REGRET ANY OF THE YEARS OF STRESSFUL CLEANUP! CHEERS TO ALL THAT ENDURE!

I use Out! Multi-Cat. You can purchase it in the cat toy/food isle at Wal-Mart. Go to my blog page: http://honestnicewoman.blogspot.com/ to read the review, and to find the link to print a coupon. My litter room no longer smells like a stinky room, and when the dogs decide to "bless" something, it works on that as well!

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureJune 18, 2004
Pee Pee Cone
Making Pee Pee Cones
cat on carpet
Removing Cat Pee and Odor from Carpet
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎄