Removing Cat Pee Smell From Clothing

Category Odors
The odor of cat pee can be difficult to remove completely from clothes. This is a guide about removing cat pee smell from clothing.

I have a sweatshirt that cats peed on and after washing it, the smell is still there. Is there anything I can use to remove the smell?

Nayno

Answers

By Desiree (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I would really try soaking it in baking soda over night and then wash it again.

Best Answer

I had a similar problem and I found several products at Petsmart. Just pour it in with the wash and works like a charm.

Tricia

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Soak it in vinegar overnight. Then I would wash it in the washer by itself with a small amount of water and about 1/4 cup of disinfecting Lysol. (The Lysol isn't necessary but I'm a germ-a -phobic!) Then wash it again with regular clothes.

By Erin (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I'll second the suggestion of using "Out!". I buy it at the grocery store or Walmart- they make a type for cat or dog odor.

It works wonderfully on clothes, or carpet. Good luck!

By Sigs (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Try using "Nature's Miracle," it's found at pet stores like Petsmart or Petco. It may seem expensive, but it is worth it. It has enzymes that destroy the smell without bleaching fabric or carpet.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Borax works for clothes but a stubborn dried in urine may be gotten out with Anti Icky Poo.

I've tried about everything out there including:
Dumb Cat
OdorZyme
Nature's Miracle
Simple Solution
OdorXit

Nothing I've tried to date works as well as Anti Icky Poo. It's expensive, but it works.

NEVER NEVER USE Lysol or Pine-sol on floors or bedding, etc because cats do not process phenols well, which both products contain. They're toxic to cats.

The hardest types of cloth for cat pee to come out of completely are vinyl and leather. I don't know why. I find that vinegar, baking soda, and detergent do a good job on cotton as well as other fabrics, but I'm having a hard time getting rid of the cat pee odor on my new vinyl winter coat.

Please give me some other suggestions.

Answers

Vinegar