Removing Musty Smell from Books

Books that have been stored or shelved for a long time can sometimes start to smell musty, especially if they have been in a slightly damp environment. This is a guide about removing the musty smell from books.

Old Stained Book Laying Open
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have tried many different methods for trying to remove the smell from musty books, and this is the best I've found.

Take the book and place a sheet of newspaper between the pages (need not be every single page, don't worry!), then seal in a tape box surrounded by more newspaper which you've crumpled into balls for three days. The newspapers absorbs the odor, and is better than using cat litter because the litter gets caught in the pages and spines of the books.

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove the musty smell from books?

By Booklover from Galesburg, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I use Snuggle dryer sheets when storing books or for moving, so maybe a week or so in a plastic bag with fresh dryer sheets might work. I also use fresh bars of Tone Soap when packing anything including books.

Good Luck

Pookarina

Read More Answers...

I have 4 big boxes of smelly books that were stored in a garage for 19 months. I can't do any labour intensive work as I am sick, can I just set them out on the floor to hopefully air out?

By Catrina

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The most common solution I have seen is to put newspaper between some of the pages, then wrap the book in newspaper and then put the books in a box full of more newspaper for few days. Some variations use charcoal as well. You read all the way down this page you can read lots of ideas about this subject:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf585248.tip.html

Put the book into a microwave oven along with a cup of water. Microwave for few seconds. Fan the book. Repeat until the book is very warm. This will remove a lot of moisture and smell.

What I did was take the book and spread it out, blowing it with the blow dryer. I flipped the pages back and forth to get them all. Then, I sprayed the outer cover (it is vinyl) with some Febreeze fabric spray and then wiped it off. Then, I put it on a table in the sun. A few hours later - the musty is almost completely gone!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have musty books, sprinkle talcum powder between pages, wrap the book in brown paper and store for several days. Remove and brush out powder.

To keep books from becoming musty, pull them out, away from the back of the shelf. Line up the spines along the front edge of the bookshelf. They'll look better, and the air will circulate behind them, so they'll smell fresher. Remember to dust behind them! And remember to READ them, too, so they'll bring you lots of pleasure.

By zballoongirl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In damp summer weather, keep papers and books as dry as possible to help control mold growth. If you have an enclosed bookcase, keep a small electric light lit continuously in the bookcase or use a chemical dehumidifier, keeping the doors closed as tightly as possible.

Remove any dry,loose mold from paper with a clean, soft cloth. If mildewed paper is damp, dry it first--in an airy place, if possible.

To dry wallpaper, heat the room for several hours or even days to dry the plaster as well as the paper. Plaster should be dried slowly to prevent cracking.

If mildewed paper is washable, wipe it gently with a cloth wrung out of thick soapsuds, then with clear water. Take care not to wet the paper more than necessary. Do not scrub it. Finally pat with a soft, dry cloth. If stains remain, bleach with a solution of a household bleach, then sponge with a cloth wrung out of clear water. For small stains, a commercial ink eradicator may be useful.

Spread pages of books out fanwise to air. If the books are very damp, sprinkle cornstarch or talcum powder between the leaves to take up the moisture. Leave starch or powder on for several hours then brush off.

This article was written by Anne Field, Extension Specialist, Emeritus, with reference from the USDA bulletin, Mildew.

Source: MSU Extension

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To get a musty odor out of old books, place the books outdoors in the sun and frequently fan out the pages so that the air can reach them. Brush off any mildew or mold. If the pages are damp, sprinkle cornstarch between them and brush it off after a few hours.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have very old books that are musty smelling. Help!

By Marsha from McMinnville

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Spray with lysol and air in the sun. (10/05/2010)

By Ann

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I remove a musty smell from books? Also, how should they be stored to prevent this from happening again?

By B. J. Coats from Marshfield, MO

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Read Archives at the bottom of this page. (08/31/2010)

By MCW

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I remove the moldy smell from an old book?

By ecline from Raleigh, NC

Removing Musty Smell From Books

It's simple. Spray them with Lysol and set them in the sun for a few hours. (06/29/2010)

By Ann

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you clean a musty smell from a book?

By Donna from Quincy, MA

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Old books often have a musty smell to them. If you want to remove the smell then have a go at the following.

You can remove odours with things such as baking soda, cat litter, or charcoal. In order to remove the odor from books you will have to create a air tight container large enough to have the book(s) in and the odor absorbing material in.

The musty smell is generally caused by dampness, which in turn causes mould. If the books are damp then you need to dry them out. Place them upright on a table and fan the pages out. Place a fan to blow onto the pages to dry them out. Or just leave them in a dry room for a few days.

Then back to the container. It could be a large box or plastic container. Place the book(s) in there with a tray of baking soda, cat litter, or charcoal briquettes. Leave the books in there for a couple of days and the smell should have gone. Good luck. (04/12/2010)

By kffrmw88

Removing Musty Smell From Books

This is a hint from "How Clean Is Your House" take some fabric softener sheets like Bounce, about 2 sheets. Put your books in a plastic trash bag add the dryer sheets and seal tight for several hours. When you take your books (about a half garbage bag full) out they shouldn't smell musky. You can also take used softener sheets only used once, cut them in half and place them inside about every 7th book on your shelf to keep musky smells out. (04/14/2010)

By laura343

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Due to being an asthmatic, I'm always looking for tips and this one really works. I purchased a great, but musty smelling book and using this suggestion, put dryer sheets every five pages, put it in a vacuum Ziploc bag and pumped out all air. Opened it up the next morning and it smelled fresh and no wheezing here. (04/18/2010)

By fldmail

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get a musty smell out of a used book I just bought?

By Flash Gordon from Petoskey, MI

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Seal it in a bag with some uncooked coffee, making sure the coffee does not touch the book. Leave it for a few days. (01/23/2010)

By MarilynLV

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Hi. Just put a dryer sheet (the ones you put into the dryer for conditioning clothes) inside and leave it overnight. This should do the trick. Or even place several inside the pages. (01/26/2010)

By irisheyes

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Spray it with Lysol. (01/26/2010)

By Ann Parker

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Try sprinkling between the pages with baking soda, seal it in a Ziploc, and leave it a day or two. Give it a test sniff. (01/26/2010)

By Shosha

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get rid of musty book smell?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What's the best way to get rid of the musty smell from books? There seem to be many interesting approaches in removing musty smells from books.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
      CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Home and Garden Cleaning Books and PapersSeptember 12, 2011
      Saving Money on Audio Books
      Saving Money on Audio Books
      Must Leather Couch
      Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
      Removing Skunk Smell from Books
      Removing Skunk Smell from Books
      An old wooden wardrobe.
      Removing Musty Smell from a Wardrobe
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:09:33 PM on 10.0.0.37 in 256 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.