Removing Musty Smell from Books

Books that have been stored or shelved for a long time can sometimes start to smell musty, especially if they have been in a slightly damp environment. This is a guide about removing the musty smell from books.

October 18, 2010 Flag

I have tried many different methods for trying to remove the smell from musty books, and this is the best I've found.

Take the book and place a sheet of newspaper between the pages (need not be every single page, don't worry!), then seal in a tape box surrounded by more newspaper which you've crumpled into balls for three days. The newspapers absorbs the odor, and is better than using cat litter because the litter gets caught in the pages and spines of the books.

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, AK

I agree about donating the books. Some books passed down from one generation to the next are usually stored in a box because the owner just can't be the one to throw them out. Then down the line when time passes more and they are musty they are forced to make a decision. Books that belonged to dad or grand grandpa? Throw them out? Be the One to do this? well, I know I wouldn't be able to so yes.

I would donate them hoping that a book dealer would buy them from the thrift store and deal with getting the musty smell out of them (they know how) before passing them along to someone who would appreciate them. As for library? Here where I live the library does not take donations of books but those that do, should be prepared to deal with the musty smell and the history, the oldness of some donated books. Part of the job as it is said, there is always part of anyone's job that isn't liked.

@Deeli

I worked in a public library in 6 years and was taught that musty books had to be disposed of because the presence of the musty odour indicated mould. The smell spreads to other books in the collection. Also, many of the books donated by families were not particularly useful or valuable. I have sorted through hundreds of boxes full of National Geographics and Reader's Digest Condensed books, old westerns and Harlequin romances that people donate. It is a kind gesture, but treasures such as these are not needed or USED. Library patrons don't tend to check out books that are old looking (no dust jacket, yellow pages etc.) unfortunately. Libraries get budgets to buy new books, award winning books or to replace classic titles with newer, more attractive editions. Those donations are often put on the "for sale" table or sent to the local thrift store.

April 28, 2015 Flag

Put the book into a microwave oven along with a cup of water. Microwave for few seconds. Fan the book. Repeat until the book is very warm. This will remove a lot of moisture and smell.

September 10, 2012 Flag

I have 4 big boxes of smelly books that were stored in a garage for 19 months. I can't do any labour intensive work as I am sick, can I just set them out on the floor to hopefully air out?

By Catrina

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The most common solution I have seen is to put newspaper between some of the pages, then wrap the book in newspaper and then put the books in a box full of more newspaper for few days. Some variations use charcoal as well. You read all the way down this page you can read lots of ideas about this subject:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf585248.tip.html

THANKS, FOR, THE TIP, ABOUT, NEWSPAPER, TO GET OUT, MUSTY SMELLS!!! IT REALLY, WORKS!!! I TRIED, IT!!!

February 25, 2014 Flag

What I did was take the book and spread it out, blowing it with the blow dryer. I flipped the pages back and forth to get them all. Then, I sprayed the outer cover with some Febreeze fabric spray and then wiped it off.

May 5, 2011 Flag

How do I remove the musty smell from books?

By Booklover from Galesburg, IL

Best Answer

I use Snuggle dryer sheets when storing books or for moving, so maybe a week or so in a plastic bag with fresh dryer sheets might work. I also use fresh bars of Tone Soap when packing anything including books.

Good Luck

Pookarina

I heard if you put them in a sack w/ kitty litter for awhile it works.

May 4, 2005 Flag

In damp summer weather, keep papers and books as dry as possible to help control mold growth. If you have an enclosed bookcase, keep a small electric light lit continuously in the bookcase or use a chemical dehumidifier, keeping the doors closed as tightly as possible.

November 13, 2004 Flag

To get a musty odor out of old books, place the books outdoors in the sun and frequently fan out the pages so that the air can reach them. Brush off any mildew or mold. If the pages are damp, sprinkle cornstarch between them and brush it off after a few hours.

October 18, 2010 Flag

I have very old books that are musty smelling. Help!

By Marsha from McMinnville

Answers:

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Spray with lysol and air in the sun. (10/05/2010)

By Ann

August 31, 2010 Flag

How can I remove the moldy smell from an old book?

By ecline from Raleigh, NC

Answers:

Removing Musty Smell From Books

It's simple. Spray them with Lysol and set them in the sun for a few hours. (06/29/2010)

By Ann

June 26, 2010 Flag

How do you clean a musty smell from a book?

By Donna from Quincy, MA

Answers:

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Old books often have a musty smell to them. If you want to remove the smell then have a go at the following.

You can remove odours with things such as baking soda, cat litter, or charcoal. In order to remove the odor from books you will have to create a air tight container large enough to have the book(s) in and the odor absorbing material in.

The musty smell is generally caused by dampness, which in turn causes mould. If the books are damp then you need to dry them out. Place them upright on a table and fan the pages out. Place a fan to blow onto the pages to dry them out. Or just leave them in a dry room for a few days.

Then back to the container. It could be a large box or plastic container. Place the book(s) in there with a tray of baking soda, cat litter, or charcoal briquettes. Leave the books in there for a couple of days and the smell should have gone. Good luck. (04/12/2010)

By kffrmw88

Removing Musty Smell From Books

This is a hint from "How Clean Is Your House" take some fabric softener sheets like Bounce, about 2 sheets. Put your books in a plastic trash bag add the dryer sheets and seal tight for several hours. When you take your books (about a half garbage bag full) out they shouldn't smell musky. You can also take used softener sheets only used once, cut them in half and place them inside about every 7th book on your shelf to keep musky smells out. (04/14/2010)

By laura343

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Due to being an asthmatic, I'm always looking for tips and this one really works. I purchased a great, but musty smelling book and using this suggestion, put dryer sheets every five pages, put it in a vacuum Ziploc bag and pumped out all air. Opened it up the next morning and it smelled fresh and no wheezing here. (04/18/2010)

By fldmail

April 12, 2010 Flag

How do I get a musty smell out of a used book I just bought?

By Flash Gordon from Petoskey, MI

Answers:

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Seal it in a bag with some uncooked coffee, making sure the coffee does not touch the book. Leave it for a few days. (01/23/2010)

By MarilynLV

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Hi. Just put a dryer sheet (the ones you put into the dryer for conditioning clothes) inside and leave it overnight. This should do the trick. Or even place several inside the pages. (01/26/2010)

By irisheyes

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Spray it with Lysol. (01/26/2010)

By Ann Parker

Removing Musty Smell From Books

Try sprinkling between the pages with baking soda, seal it in a Ziploc, and leave it a day or two. Give it a test sniff. (01/26/2010)

By Shosha

October 1, 2010 Flag

How do I remove a musty smell from books? Also, how should they be stored to prevent this from happening again?

January 23, 2010 Flag

How do you get rid of musty book smell?

July 28, 2009 Flag

What's the best way to get rid of the musty smell from books? There seem to be many interesting approaches in removing musty smells from books.

August 30, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

August 30, 2006 Flag
Home and Garden Cleaning Books and PapersSeptember 12, 2011
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
An old wooden wardrobe.
Removing Musty Smell from a Wardrobe
🎉
🎄