Growing Corn in a Raised Bed

I planted corn seeds in this 8x8 foot raised bed. When they came up, I thinned to 64 plants. So there was about one plant per square foot. The soil used was a mix of potting soil and mulch that was about 6 feet deep.

I kept it watered and fertilized until it produced the corn. The variety of corn planted was Sugar Dots Hybrid, a sweet corn. The end result was 60 ears of very nice corn.

By Deanna from Spearsville, LA

Did you really mean "6 FEET deep"? That would take a LOT of compost and potting soil. Like 384 cubic feet of materials! Does corn really grow roots that deep?

Sorry about the mistake I made on the depth of soil and mulch used in the raised bed. It should be 6 inches instead of 6 feet.

Six inches is lot more believable (grin). I thought perhaps you were growing some of those 'Jack in the Beanstalk' giant ears of corn LOL Appreciate hearing the correction.

Growing Corn
Growing Corn
Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodAugust 20, 2009
Growing Indian Corn
Growing Indian Corn
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Gardening in Raised Beds
Gardening in Raised Beds
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
🎄