Trouble With Easy Pie Crust Recipes

I have tried all those 'easy' pie crust recipes. For the Marie Calendar recipe I followed it EXACTLY. The dough was refrigerated, warmed to room temp, pinch test was OK. The dough was too sticky, I added a little flour, then the dough falls apart. Any ideas?

Joseph from Orange County, Ca

Pastry should always be kept as cool as possible, so use iced water (and cold hands!) and try and roll it out as quickly as possible. Make into whatever shape you need then put back in fridge to relax before cooking.

Cool and quick is the motto for pastry but there are very experienced cooks who can't manage to make good pastry, it really is an art - so you are not alone.

Best of luck :-)

Here is the one I use. I got it from my sister in law. I can sell these pies anytime, because the crusts are so flaky and tender. The thing to remember is that the dough might need a touch more water, but it should never be sticky. Also, do you put flour on the rolling surface before you roll out pies?

Never Fail Piecrust

4 cups flour

2 teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon sugar

1 3/4 cups shortening or lard

1/2 cup water

1 egg yolk

1 tablespoon vinegar

Put dry ingredients in a big bowl. Add wet ingredients. Mash together. Knead for a minute or so to mix it up good. Divide it into six or seven equal portions and roll them into balls. Roll out the ones you need right away and freeze the rest. Let me know how you do with this.

P.S. I will be in Anaheim sometime in May, so if you need a coach, let me know.

Here is a pie crust recipe I saw demonstrated on the Oprah Show. It is sooo easy and really good! I have had a LOT of compliments on my pies. This recipe is for a 2 crust pie.

Crust:

2-2/3 cups flour

1 scant tsp. salt

2/3 cup vegetable oil

6 TBS. cold milk

To make crust, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour and salt. Measure oil and milk together in a separate small bowl...do NOT stir. Add to flour. Mix well with a large metal spoon. Roll out crust between 2 pieces of waxed paper. Do NOT refrigerate before rolling crust out. CAREFULLY lift away waxed paper as this crust might tear easily!

Good luck!!

Buy tenderflake lard and follow the recipe on the pagadge, never fails

barb

Honey, no matter how much I tried, my pie crust never look great, so I just brought the store made brand like pillsbury, and they turn out just fine.

Pie Crust Recipes
Pie Crust Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesFebruary 18, 2008
An apple pie with a delicious looking pie crust.
Pie Crust Tips and Tricks
Rolling dough.
Sweet Pie Dough
cheesecake with graham cracker crust
Dessert Ideas With a Graham Cracker Crust
Photo of vanilla wafer cookies which can be used to make pie crust.
Cookie Pie Crust Recipes
🎉
🎄