Removing Nail Polish Off a Car

My car was vandalized yesterday. Someone broke into the car next to mine, found a purse and decided to pour nail polish all over my car. I want to try and use nail polish removal but I am concerned about damaging the finish. Do I have any options? My car is only 2 months old and there is a ton of the nail polish on the doors and hood.

Michael

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I'd call a dealership before you try it, they might have a much better idea. Good luck!

With my husbands car i just used nail polish remover on it. Someone had keyed it up horribley, so we needed to touch up the paint, of course he didnt want me to do it, so he did it himself and messed it up. So I had to go back and fix it, I just used nail polish remover right on the car, ( non-acetone) i even let it set on there for a minute, and there wasnt any damage to the finish.

Of course I would recomend testing it first in an inconspicious area ( like the edge of the tire opening, to see how your finish reacts before actually using it on the main part of the car. If it works then just use a Q-tip and go over the remover. :) I hope this helps!

I agree, this sounds like something where the dealer needs to help, especially since the car is so new. I'd also call the police department and your insurance company.

So sorry to hear it, obviously that was a malicious act! An auto paint shop specialist would be able to take off only the polish and then apply a clear coat to restore any lost shine. good luck!

Supposedly, WD 40 will take unwanted paint off a car. I don't think it could hurt as the finish is baked on.

I was at my usually car wash place a few years ago and a man came in with his truck spray painted with a can of spray paint. Because he had wax on it as a new car would they buffed it off in no time. Whatever you do, do it soon and keep the car out of the heat.

This happened to me 2 weeks ago! I was very upset. I brought my car to a car detailer and all they did was spray some chemical wash and then used the power washer. The paint chipped right off. On some small parts I had to use my nails to scratch it off. I immediately got it washed right after. My car looks fine now. I hope this helps others!

I am in Oconomowoc WI and this has happened to several cars in my subdivision the last few nights.

Acetone nail polish remover works just fine. My daughter just painted the hood of the neighbor's car, and we used nail polish remover to take it off.

It happened to my car also. Took it to dealer and told me to use cooking oil on it (of course outside only). Paint came off like magic.

roadrouser

I had a similar problem with nail polish marks all around my car's door handles, mostly my own fault. Since they're just scratches of nail polish on the car paint - although pretty visible - alcohol swabs took it off right away with absolutely no damage to the car paint or its shine.

Someone thought is would be funny to key the words bic*h in to my car twice and then they put nail polish over the scratch. I'm a detailer so I put nail polish remover on the nail polish an then buffed the hood and it looks good as new.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Buffing marks from a Car's Exterior
Removing Stains and Marks from a Car's Exterior
Consumer Advice Cars Cleaning OutsideJune 25, 2007
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Two girls putting on nail polish on a couch.
Removing Nail Polish Stains From a Couch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 5:41:17 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 831 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.