Removing Nail Polish Off a Car

Category Cars
Nail polish can be difficult to remove from a painted surface without damaging the finish. This is a guide about removing nail polish off a car.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the slightest dark red nail polish scuff mark off my car's exterior? My car is white and I'm worried that if I try to use a chemical to remove the nail polish that a worse mark will be left in its place. I can't believe my OPI nail polish scuffed right off my thumb nail onto the driver's side door near the handle. I need to get that nail polish off the car door, and pronto! Please help!

Best Answer

I asked my DH about this one and he said the first thing he would try would be WD40 on a soft rag. He said it takes off road tar, so maybe it would take off nail polish?

If that doesn't do it you might try some buffing compound that is specifically made for polishing cars. They sell that kind of stuff at auto parts stores or the big "W" store.

Best Answer

Try nail polish remover on some part of the paint that isn't visible -- like the inside of the door panel or inside on the trunk. I suspect that the nail polish remover will not harm the finish. I have had to use kerosene to remove road tar, and certainly gasoline spills do not damage the paint, so I suspect nail polish remover might not as well.

My car was vandalized yesterday. Someone broke into the car next to mine, found a purse and decided to pour nail polish all over my car. I want to try and use nail polish removal but I am concerned about damaging the finish. Do I have any options? My car is only 2 months old and there is a ton of the nail polish on the doors and hood.

Michael

Best Answer

With my husbands car i just used nail polish remover on it. Someone had keyed it up horribley, so we needed to touch up the paint, of course he didnt want me to do it, so he did it himself and messed it up. So I had to go back and fix it, I just used nail polish remover right on the car, ( non-acetone) i even let it set on there for a minute, and there wasnt any damage to the finish.

Of course I would recomend testing it first in an inconspicious area ( like the edge of the tire opening, to see how your finish reacts before actually using it on the main part of the car. If it works then just use a Q-tip and go over the remover. :) I hope this helps!

So sorry to hear it, obviously that was a malicious act! An auto paint shop specialist would be able to take off only the polish and then apply a clear coat to restore any lost shine. good luck!

Supposedly, WD 40 will take unwanted paint off a car. I don't think it could hurt as the finish is baked on.

I was at my usually car wash place a few years ago and a man came in with his truck spray painted with a can of spray paint. Because he had wax on it as a new car would they buffed it off in no time. Whatever you do, do it soon and keep the car out of the heat.

This happened to me 2 weeks ago! I was very upset. I brought my car to a car detailer and all they did was spray some chemical wash and then used the power washer. The paint chipped right off. On some small parts I had to use my nails to scratch it off. I immediately got it washed right after. My car looks fine now. I hope this helps others!

I am in Oconomowoc WI and this has happened to several cars in my subdivision the last few nights.

Acetone nail polish remover works just fine. My daughter just painted the hood of the neighbor's car, and we used nail polish remover to take it off.

It happened to my car also. Took it to dealer and told me to use cooking oil on it (of course outside only). Paint came off like magic.

roadrouser

I had a similar problem with nail polish marks all around my car's door handles, mostly my own fault. Since they're just scratches of nail polish on the car paint - although pretty visible - alcohol swabs took it off right away with absolutely no damage to the car paint or its shine.