Homemade Postcard Ideas

There are fun ways to save money on mailing greetings by making your own postcards. This guide contains homemade postcard ideas.

December 4, 2009 Flag

Keep birthday, Christmas, and get well cards and use them as postcards. Just cut them apart and then draw a line to separate the message from the name and address. You save money not having to buy cards and the postage is cheaper on postcards. They can be quite pretty and its a good way to reuse the cards.

You can also cut last year's Christmas cards and put a hole in them and a ribbon and hang from your Christmas tree.

By Dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you ever tried making boxes of them?

How about running them through an older sherreder (not crosscut) and then putting them (not in order, but in a colorful way) on card stock with double sided tape or I like to use contact paper, cut out a tree or star or angle or any other thing you may think of and punch a whole for ribbon hanger. makes great tree ornaments and/or "window dressing". I have even put a pin back on them, attached them to a Christmas card and then they have a pin to wear.

Sorry, but I do not have any pics as I have given all away!

I do the same thing. Make postcards out of them.

Read More Comments...

January 7, 2011 Flag

Will someone please give me some creative ideas on how to use postcards? I've framed about all that I care to frame, so I'm at a standstill. Please help!

By Tawni from Idaho Falls, ID

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You could lay them out in an artistic design on a tray, or a table that could use a better surface. With the tray, you could decoupage them onto it. With a table, just get a piece of glass the same size as the table, and use it to hold down and display the postcards. Just make sure there aren't young children around, in which case it would pay to use something to hold down the glass, and prevent an accident.

Best Answer

Make placemats with them! Lay them out the way you want and then laminate it. If they have messages on the back it will be nice to turn the place mat over and remember the good times. If you don't want the message to show or the blank back to show then just put your first layer of cards down with picture against the table and then go back and put the second layer of cards on top with picture showing up.

I belong to this site and love it for postcard swaps:

www.postcrossing.com

You can also cut them and use them for gift tags, bookmarks

September 8, 2005 Flag

Tips for saving money on postcards. Post your ideas.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I've used the fronts of greeting cards as postcards. Just remember, I don't think they can be any smaller than 3 x 5, and no larger than 4 x 6.

Best Answer

You can also use photos. Lots of times developing places offer double prints for nothing- or next to it- or you get prints that you really don't want. Just divide the back into an "address" area and a "message area" and there you have it- instant postcard.

Don't spend money to buy postcards! And don't throw away old greeting cards! You can cut the front off of your old greeting cards and reuse them as post cards! Costs nothing!

By Robin

On the Christmas cards you can do the same thing except punch small holes around the card and crochet around it. Then mail them back out next Christmas.

May 19, 2010 Flag

This is a good way to send out invitations. Go to any store that sells stationary or a book store. Look for a book of postcards that come in packs twenty or maybe fifty, etc. Look for ones with pretty pictures to relate to your type of event or celebration. For example, I find that love themed cards are great for weddings, wedding showers, etc. Baby postcards are always good for baby showers, etc.

You don't need envelopes. Just fill in the person's address where you would normally fill out the address and write all your information on the blank side - time, date, and all that jazz.

By adriann33 from Boston, MA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can also use stock card, run it through your printer and then cut it to post card size.

February 17, 2005 Flag

I bought my toddler a pack of 4x6 cards (cheap and can be found anywhere!) I prefer to buy the "plain" ones, but lined ones work too. I can keep some of these handy in my purse, her tote bag, or above the fridge for any "bored" moment...

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 7, 2011 Flag

How do I make a postcard?

Jim

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use my word processing program...under labels. But you can just take a sheet of 8.5 x 11 cardstock and cut it fourths. Each piece is a post card legal size. I put the entire sheet (page 1) in my printer and use my computer graphics to print something cute or noteworthy on each one - individually or as a group. I also type three lines on the reverse side (page 2) for writing the address. This is not necessary, but let's people I am gifting with the post cards know what they are to be used for. Then just print and cut apart - usually 4.25 x 5.50. Put proper postage on 'em and mail.

Here is what I do. I go the thrift shop and buy old post cards and redecorate the front with what ever I want. Most of the time you can buy a box 50 for about 50 cents.

Another way would be to get some cardstock cut it into fours and decorate your way. There are also free programs that will let you print on one side the look of a post card.

January 7, 2011 Flag

Has anyone ever made their own postcards? I would like to make my own, but do not know where to start. Any suggestions? I have inks and stamps. Thank you.

By Dianne from South, AL

Answers:

Make Your Own Postcards

The Post Office has no rules that I know of for what you send through the mail. I used to work outgoing mail for the Post Office back in the 90s in a college town. You wouldn't believe what we saw coming through to be mailed. One time it was a bra just before St Patrick's day. It had the address on one cup and the appropriate postage stapled on the other cup along with the message "Erin go Braugh! Also I remember a Hershey bar wrapper coming through acting as an envelope. (04/03/2009)

By Kathryen

Make Your Own Postcards

Yes, there are legal sizes for postcards. I make them out of recycled cards. The United States Postal Service site tells you the size and the weight the cards have to be. Check it out. (04/06/2009)

By rasta

Make Your Own Postcards

I have used photographs, the front cut from a greeting card, or a picture from a magazine glued onto cardboard, etc. Since the post office uses machines, it may be a good idea not to glue on any decoration that could get caught on the machine. Also, keep it close to postcard size since a larger size could change the postage. I always put a line down the center of the card - message on the left, address and stamp on the right. (04/18/2009)

By Goldie2

Make Your Own Postcards

Try Postcards.com You can upload your own photos and customize it on their website. They print them on high quality paper at the correct size so you don't have to worry about the little details. Just make it your own and send them out to your friends, they can even send them out for you. Check them out, it's a great way to send holiday cards, invitations, or greetings! (10/08/2009)

By leisa

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 31, 2009 Flag

I am a cancer patient undergoing chemotherapy. I would like to send pretty postcards to my friends for all the wonderful things they have done for me. I can't afford greeting cards plus the stamps, but I could make my own post cards and the stamps are cheaper.

Can someone tell me how to get started, and the criteria that the Post Office uses for making post cards?

I would be very grateful for any advice on how to get this project started because the postcards would be made by me with my own personal words of thanks and appreciation I am sending to each person.

Many thanks to all your readers. I hope to hear from you soon!

Sincerely,
Charline from Midlothian, TX

Answers:

Using Card Fronts

Cut the front off greeting cards you receive and use them as postcards.

By ponyanddogshow (05/16/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Making Postcards

I had a hard time finding postcards to buy in bulk for a reasonable price. I decided to make my own. I save bits of old fabric scraps, wallpaper, scrapbook paper, magazine paper, or those annoying inserts that drop out of magazines. I use the leftover material and paste on 4 x 6 index cards, making post cards for entering sweepstakes and sending thank you notes.

By MaryBeth Isaac (08/22/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Make Your Own Postcards

Following MaryBeth's idea, you could paste photos of the grandchildren, etc. and send with a quick note to the grandparents, family or friends. I saw this idea in a catalog. (08/23/2005)

By Happy05

Make Your Own Postcards

I cut up old programs from ball games and make collage note cards for my favorite team! (08/23/2005)

By Diana

Make Your Own Postcards

Double check the usps.com site for dimensions on postcards without having added postage.

I buy a ream of plain white card stock, run it through my printer to print what I want on it, and then cut it in quarters. I also rubber stamp, stencil, collage or whatever on this same size.

This also works nice because the same size, cut in half, fits in small invitation size envelopes for great handmade cards. (08/23/2005)

By QueenBeeCrafts

Make Your Own Postcards

For Thank You cards after my baby shower, I used blank medium sized Index cards and a rubber stamp. I stamped one side with a baby in a buggy and Thank You under it, then flipped it over and took a ruler and drew a line about 2/3 of the way in to separate the message side and the address side, then I flipped it back over and embellished with marker and colored pencils. (02/17/2006)

By cakebaby.

Make Your Own Postcards

Use the fronts of cards previously sent to you. What fun it might be to send a thank you note to a person using the card front they sent you. I use old Christmas cards this way (also use them as gift tags).
(02/17/2006)

By Diana-again

Make Your Own Postcards

Use digital photos printed on card stock and write your message on half of the back, then address to the recipient on the left. This works very well. (02/17/2006)

By shirley

Make Your Own Postcards

You would need to use card stock paper to print on. Standard size for postcards is 6x4, but you can go to www.usps.org to find out specifics. Assuming you have access to a computer, I did a search in Google and found some interesting free printable postcard sites. Some urls I pulled up on Google that you might try include:

http://www.creativity-portal.com/printables/postcard.html OR
http://www.gulf-shores-alabama-condo-rentals.com/printable-stationary.html.

I send "happy mail" to seniors and shut-ins by making my own on my computer, but I use my graphics and pictures of my own and customize mine in a print shop program. I will put a .jpg of a basic template I created that you could use. On the other side, assuming you do not do your own computer graphics, you could write more to your note, or paste a cut-out from a magazine or draw/create something of your own. Best wishes! Hope this helps. If you need to reach me by email, you can reach me at:

themusiclady AT yahoo . com.(remove spaces) (02/17/2006)

By Rita

RE: Make Your Own Postcards

Make Your Own Postcards

I buy double photo prints and use the double for a postcard. My grandchhildren love it when they see themselves from earlier times. (02/17/2006)

By Megan's mom

Make Your Own Postcards

If there is a way to get your mailing address, I would be willing to send you a lot of photos of beautiful scenery that my mother took but I did not have the heart to throw out. I was hoping that they could be used for something.
(02/17/2006)

By mimi3

Make Your Own Postcards

I made some Valentine post cards for a yahoo exchange I am on. I asked the post office before starting. You can use card stock and make your own. Look on the usps.com site for sizes and weight. I know card stock is heavy enough. I decoupaged different pics and scrapbook paper on mine, then laminated them. Yes, you can laminate them and send through the mail.*** Make sure you add postage after you laminate. That way they can keep your card forever. If you would like to see a pic send me an email. ucmelaffn AT aol dot com
(02/18/2006)

By Michele

Make Your Own Postcards

Charline, I'm a 5 year breast cancer survivor - I was diagnosed at 37. While I was going through chemotherapy, I bought a box of stationary with matching envelopes from Target; did my thank you letters on the computer using Word, and printed them out. Using Word, you can specify the size of the paper you are using so it will print correctly. If you don't have the software to do this, maybe a friend can type and print them out for you. Charline, stay positive - you will be on the other side of this soon. Through that trying time in my life, my focus was on God; he gave me the peace I needed at just the right time. God Bless You! (02/18/2006)

By Marnita

Make Your Own Postcards

There's plenty of online sites where you can write your own heartfelt cards. As long as the recipients have email addresses, they won't cost you a cent. (02/20/2006)

By Cathy

Make Your Own Postcards

Cardstock is great, and please consider the photographs (especially of you with friends/family). These will be great keepsakes for years to come. I found some that my great-grandparents had kept! Not sure of the exact years, but definitely 19th century. It is a memorable inexpensive way to send a lovely note and picture. (03/08/2006)

By camo_angels

Make Your Own Postcards

Try cutting up boxes of friendly, fun items like desserts, comfort food and snacks, e.g. Twinkies, into post card size and sending them. If the back side isn't suitable or white, you can cut up a blank sheet of paper and glue it there. Hope this helps. Good luck :) (04/08/2006)

By Champion Cheapskate

Make Your Own Postcards

I have read everyone's ideas and suggestions, and they are all wonderful! I don't know what I could add, except to say that your idea is simply wonderful. I always prefer giving gifts and cards from the heart. This usually means that I took the time to put a little something together that was made with the recipient in mind (something just for them). This way, my hope is that they will find the gift or thank-you token is just for them, something they can and/or will use and maybe even something they can in turn share with others or keep for a treasure, etc.

There is no greater gift than one that keeps on giving after you've given it as intended. One additional note: Please be sure to sign your gifts or tokens, so they will always think of you and your thoughtfulness. May God bless & keep you as you travel your life's journey. (05/03/2007)

By denise

Make Your Own Postcards

Not sure if you're still reading this web site, but I send postcards all the time using a self stick postcard backing that you just peel and stick on the back of a 4 x 6 photo. I just ordered more at Paragongifts.com. They are 9.99 for 48. Love showing off my new grandson. (07/09/2007)

By Deb

Make Your Own Postcards

All you have to do is use the picture you want to send, and write on the back of it as if it were a post card. I've done this many times and it always works. It's easy and you don't have to buy any extra materials! (09/08/2008)

By Meaghan

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Paper CardsJanuary 3, 2014
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
🎉
🎄