Cooking Brown Rice at High Altitude

I am needing help in cooking brown rice in high altitude; 6800 feet. I follow the instructions, and the rice never gets tender. I've also tried it, adding a little extra water and cooking for 20 minutes more, and it still won't get tender. Please help?

By kljohn from Crawford, CO

Best Answer

What I did in cooking brown rice is to soak the brown rice overnight then cook tomorrow the same way you cook the white rice. My sister is the one who told me to soak first the brown rice so, I tried it and it help.

Best Answer

I use a presser cooker and I get great rice. I live in Leadvill, elevation 10,200ft. Also you can try a rice steamer. Good luck.

It's possible the boiling temps at the altitude where you live never get high enough to cook the rice. Which means you need a pressure cooker, which will compensate for the altitude. Higher up you go the lower the temp at which water boils. I think rice doesn't care where it cooks. Just needs enough BTUs, which it's not getting. Small pressure cookers are fairly cheap.

Thanks for all the tips I also Googled 'cooking brown rice at high altitudes', and got good advice.

Just a suggestion - try soaking it in water that is of a better quality than straight from the tap.

Rice in a cast iron pan.
Cooking Rice at High Altitudes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsSeptember 14, 2009
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
Growing Vegetables in the Mountains
Growing Vegetables in the Mountains
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
🎄
🍂