Browsing: Keeping Cutoff Jeans from Fraying

Keeping Cut Off Jeans from Fraying

How do you keep cut-off jeans from fraying? I love to turn my worn out jeans into shorts for the summer, but do not like the little strings that come when it starts to fray. I would love to know if there is a way to stop this from happening.

By McCollonough from TN

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have heard of something called "fray check" or something like that, that can be bought in fabric stores or departments. I have never looked for it, because I am old enough that I do things the old fashioned way, like I was taught in home ec classes. When I cut jeans off for my grandkids, I go the extra step and hem them.

Cut-offs are supposed to have that frayed look. Just cut off the white strings which come loose after laundering. It will stabilize and stop fraying after a while.

Dritz Fray Check is what Redhatterb was talking about. It can be found in most sewing supply stores. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. It comes in a small 3/4 oz bottle but will last a long time as it doesn't take much to do the job.

Use fabric glue or I know when I was young and when there's a ladder on my stocking I use to apply natural nail polish or you can machine stitch above the fraying part of the jeans to stop it from going further.

Get yourself a pair of pinking shears from a craft shop. They aren't expensive and can be used for many other things. I do the sides of my towels when they start to fray yet are still good in the middle. And snip your jeans to the size you want, it will help them from fraying for a good long while.

You didn't say whether you have a sewing machine or not, but you simply zigzag the edge and you keep the pretty frayed look without the tails.

If you call into your local fabric shop you can pick up iron on interfacing. It comes in a few thicknesses and you would only need 10cms (a couple of inches) or so. Turn the shorts inside out and iron a narrow strip along the edge of the hem. It will stick on and you wont even know it is there. Some of the 'no fray' products can be a little scratchy when dry, and that would be most uncomfortable! But Oliveoyl is right, too. The fabric should eventually stop fraying. Just trim any annoying bits off.

A woman wearing cutoff jeans.
Keeping Cutoff Jeans from Fraying
Crafts Clothing ShortsMarch 31, 2010
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Making a Jeans Apron
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Recycled Jeans Flower Pot
Recycled Jeans Planters
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 7:14:26 PM on 10.0.2.166 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.