Shave Years off your Mortgage

If, for example, your mortgage payment is say, $1200 per month and you normally pay it on the 1st of the month, start paying $600 on the 1st of the month and then on the 15th of the month pay the additional $600.

You are not paying anymore than you would normally but because you are now paying it bi-monthly you save a lot of money towards the principle. You will end up paying off your mortgage 5 to 7 years ahead of time. Happy days to those that do this.

By joesgirl

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Most lenders will not accept two payments per month. This only works if your lender will accept the payments and post them to your account when received.

Do not buy a program to do this either. You will pay fees for the setup , etc. If you want to maximize your savings ther are better ways.

Set up a savings account, make your payments to your savings account, set up an automatic payment to your mortgage company from this account.

You will make interest on your savings account, have access to any extra paid, and pay no fees. This way you can pay your mortgage payment any way you desire. My suggestion is to pay 1/2 of your payment every two weeks or 1/4 every week, depending on how you get paid. This will make one extra payment of your mortgage every year, into your savings account. This payment can then be divided up as an extra principle paymeny monthly to your mortgage company or left in your savings account to grow.

I never recommend giving extra money to the mortgage company. If you need it, you must refinance or sell to get it back. In your savings account it is available if you have an emergency.

If you invest it, you may be able to have it grow, and not loose any of your tax deductions.

It is your money. Maximize your tax deductions and protect your interests. If you have the money, you can always pay it to your mortgage company if you wish.

This is the advice I give every client I talk to about mortgages, and I am a licensed REALTOR in Virginia, and have an INVESTMENT license as well.

I live in Canada. Here it is a normal option for the bank to offer us the ability to do a bi-weekly mortage payment. It has shaved years off our mortgage. BUT we cannot deduct the interest we get charged on our mortgage against our taxes like you can if you live in the U.S. Oh, well....

Besides bi-weekly payments, I think when the anniversary date of the loan comes around you are allowed to put whatever amount down on the principal without any other charges. This is a one time thing each year, but it will also cut down the principal and thereby save you money in interest payments.

I have a 15 year loan on my house I would like to shave more years off how do I do this? can I make an extra payment a year? or increase the monthly payment?

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Handing Over Keys To House
Paying Off Your Home Mortgage
Budget & Finance BudgetJune 24, 2004
Mortgage Paperwork
Getting a Mortgage With Bad Credit
Man with Beard Stubble
Softening Beard Stubble
female hand shaving legs
Asking Your Parents to Let You Shave
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 7:02:46 PM on 10.0.2.207 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.