New Berber Carpet Has a Run

Help! My new Berber carpet has a small run. It's only about two inches long, but I don't want it get any longer. Is there anyway it can be fixed? I was thinking of just squooshing it into place with glue, but I'm not sure this is the wisest way to go.

I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions that you have. I have two 10 week old kittens who think it's a great toy, so I'll need advice that won't be harmful to them.

Thanks a lot!

Debi

If the loops have just pulled out of the squares, you could try a small crochet hook to maybe pull them back through, and then stitch up the edge by hand if you can, to keep it from pulling out again. Hope it helps.

If you aren't able to thread the strands back together, in the past I have cut the excess and take one of those long candle/grill lighters (you can use matches or lighters, but they can burn your hands)and singe the ends just enough to melt the fibers, but not turn black or burn the rest of the carpet. If you are afraid of burning too much of the carpet you can buy parafin wax and melt a little on the ends. It dries clear and is not very visible.

The same thing happened to me and I followed the advice of the expert at the carpet store: squirt a liberal amount of good old Elmers glue into the "hole", then, just like you said, "squoosh" the loose part back into the hole. It will seem like it's too long to fit, but if you keep patiently squooshing, it will go. Then you need to put something heavy on top of it to hold it in place (I used a trash can). Leave the heavy object there for several hours (you could do all this just before bed, then leave the heavy object on it overnight). That particular spot may have a funny feeling to it afterwards (like if you step on it barefoot), but it will be much less noticeable than a bare spot in the carpet!

Thanks for the advice......glue and squooshing, here I come!

You can use a hot glue gun, as well. Be careful with it, because you can burn your self. It will dry and cool in a few minutes. Use something to hold the fibers in place for approximately 1 minute, then you can leave it to finish cooling. Shouldn't take much of the hot glue to do it, depends on the size of the run. This comes from a former carpet installer. Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Brian Burton

New Berber Carpet Has a burn mark.

Editor's Note: For burn marks if it is deep, your best bet is to "cut and plug". Get one of those carpet cutting circle tools and replace the spot. You basically cut out a small circle with this tool from the carpet, then cut a small piece out of a remnant of your carpet (hopefully there is some scrap around) and put that into the place where your removed the piece. Add a little glue to the edges of the piece before you insert it.

If it is very small, you may be able to clip off the burned fibers and it won't show as much.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I don't see the replies.

Scroll down below the request and you will see all of the replies. I was just informed that there is a problem with a few pages where they are not showing up correctly. Once new feedback is posted they show up again. We're working on the problem.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Mine did the same thing but much worse. I was told (by the carpet shop that I bought the carpet from) that using a beater bar vaccuum cleaner will cause this to happen. I was not informed about the danger in using such a vaccuum but I hope this warning will help you from having this problem continue.

I tried the elmer's glue and packed the long string (that my puppy had worked at ) back into the groove- trimmed off the excess and weighted it down with a heavy book and waxed paper between.

looking good so far.

luckily the color is not solid

I don't think he'll notice!

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks to all for your suggestions - I have a 6 yr old berber carpet with SEVERAL runs all over the house, and you're right, it's from a beater bar vaccuum cleaner. It has been challenge to fix it myself. Next house will have hardwood floors!

I have a mulicolor berber carpet that is brand new with a long run. I have a gentleman coming over to repair it actually reweave it. Will you be able to notice the run after it is reweaved?

I am glad to hear that a small amount of the snagged loose end can be cut off. The problem I have is a long snag that doesn't fit back into the hole and I wanted to find out what to do with it before cutting it. I will try the "glue and squoosh" method first.

Unfortunately, I have the same problem. A snag caused by my vaccuum cleaner right along the seam of the carpet. To make it worse it runs right through the middle of the living room. I cut off the end and am going to attempt the glue and smoosh method. Thanks for the helpful hints. Best of luck to everyone in their berber woes.

Our cute little dog tore up a few small triangles & squares of berber carpet in the basement my husband and I are renting for the summer. We move out next week and are worried sick about not getting our $400 security deposit back. One of the tears is about 3x3" and the other two have about a 1" diameter. We found a little bit of extra carpet in a closet that we think we can cut out - but if it's not going to work, we don't want to take the risk of destroying even more carpet! Please help if you have suggestions!

I have the same problem, my vacuum pulled on a loose thread in my carpet and I tried to tie it down, but it came back up again, so now I was thinking of getting a extra piece from an extra piece of carpet that was left over and just glue it into place and does anyone have any ideas how I go about doing this correctly Thanks.

P;ease. please, please help me! I am dog sitting and this happened to my Berber carpet! I don't know how to fix it but I need to fix it soon at very little cost!

Berber Carpet
Repairing Snags in Berber Carpet
Home and Garden Home Improvement CarpetJune 7, 2004
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
A hole in a pair of pantyhose.
Fixing a Run in Your Stockings
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
🎉
🎄