Mow High and Often

The average person should be able to mow a lawn... right? WRONG! The only time a lawn should be scalped is if you are switching to rock. You want the grass to be a winner, not the weeds or diseases. Mow high and often! Clipping off the seed heads of weeds and discarding plus allowing the grass to start its system of runners gives the grass a chance to choke the weeds out.

Also, a mulching lawnmower means the resulting grass does not need a catcher. However I use pile of grass clippings to block out the sun in areas I want to plant a shrub or plant a flowerbed.

Some "friends" helped me while I was gone. Scalped my yard, raked it to below the level and discarded it all in construction sized black plastic (that don't break down in a landfill in 1000 years). If you don't know what you are doing, please don't help me anymore!

Source: My vast experience in organic gardening and Ruth Stout's No Work Garden Book, copyright 1971.

By DrRock from Phoenix, Arizona

I certainly appreciate your information but some food for thought! When a friend does you a favor, they were going with their heart. How fortunate for you that you had a friend that would do this work for you. One more black plastic bag won't make or break this planet this one time! Not to mention, grass will come back, and I am sure you want your friend to come back too! Just a thought, but I did enjoy the information re: lawns!

No comments about the lawn, but Ruth Stout's books are great. So glad I came upon her work somehow.

Home and Garden Gardening LawnJune 18, 2008
Photo of a large high school and its football field.
High School Activities Ideas
A high school graduate holding a sign that says hire me.
Getting a Job With a High School Diploma
Debt Consolidation Tips
Debt Consolidation Tips
High School Reunion
Making Memory Books for a High School Reunion
🎉
🎄