Sticky Situation: Cleaning Syrup off My Dress

A waitress spilled warm syrup all over my dress. The dress is now all stuck together. How can I wash it out completely?

Boil it in a pot of hot water. Use a spoon to stir it a little and put a few drops of laundry soap in after you boil the dress for a few minutes.

Another option in addition to the one above. Place a claim with the the restaurants insurance co. for replacement value of the dress!

What is the dress made of? If it's cotton, boiling it may shrink the dress. If it's a washable fabric, I suggest simply soaking it in cool water with a bit of detergent. Syrup is simply sugar water, and should dissolve easily in water. Any traces of oil (from accompanying sausages or whatever) should be taken care of by the detergent. Of course, if your dress is made of a non-washable fabric, then I'd suggest the services of a dry cleaner. Not the most economical way to clean, but certainly more frugal than purchasing a new dress!

Syrup should wash out of any washable fabric, but the color might stain. This may not wash out. The restaurant should reimburse for dry cleaning or replacement, if washing is not an option or doesn't work.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMay 5, 2004
selecting a wedding dress
Selecting a Wedding Dress
Tablecloth Dress
Making a Tablecloth Dress
Renewing Vows in a Wedding Dress
Choosing a Dress to Renew Your Vows
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film