Savings Container for Spare Change

My husband and I collect the spare change we find around the house, in the laundry, etc. I found a big antique Ball jar at a thrift store and we use that. It is easily contained and looks nice on the shelf. And as a bonus, we easily will collect about $50-$70 in change in a month's time! We use the money to treat ourselves to dinner or a movie out.

By Sarah W. from East Lansing, MI

It really is better to spend the change and save dollar bills. They are lighter and easier to cash in when you are ready to deposit them in your savings account. Never spend a dollar bill and save it in the jar.

You might want to be careful where you put the jar, if it is easily visible, you may invite a burglar.

My husband and I also store spare change but in a very large plastic jar. I cut a hole in the lid top and once it goes in, it's not supposed to come out. I bought my computer with just this spare change after a few months. I knew a lady who kept their spare change in a big glass jar and in getting it down from where it was stored, the sheer weight of the change broke the bottom of the jar out. It fell on her foot causing a serious cut.

Oh, I'd love to be able to save all our silver! So far I can only manage to save pennies. I have a small "owl bank" rather than "piggy bank." When that gets full, I cash it in at my credit union's CoinStar machine. Hey, every penny really does count!

Coins Flying out of Jar
Saving Spare Change
Budget & Finance Saving MoneyFebruary 26, 2011
Loose Change on White Background
Finding Loose Change
Spare Ribs
Cooking Spare Ribs
Couple Using Online Savings Institution
Choosing the Best Online Savings Institution
Packing a Suitcase, Suitcase Ready for Travel
Packing a Suitcase