CuttingsGardening

Use Canning Jars to Start Cuttings

Instead of buying a plant for a birthday or housewarming gift, grow one. I have a few old canning jars in my kitchen window, and I grow new plants in water from clippings of older plants. When it has new roots I plant it in dirt and give a homemade gift that will last a long time.

By Georgjeana from Tallmadge, OH

That's a great idea. I start new trees in mayonnaise jars and plastic milk jugs. I dip the cutting in root starter and place it in water. It works like a charm. Everyone wants to start one of my lemon or orange, or mango trees. This is a good way and they appreciate it. If it's a gift, I wait until it's able to be planted as you do and put it in a pot.

I am almost 70. As a child, I remember my grandmother... in the fall just before we would have our first freeze taking cuttings of plants that she wanted to have the next year. Not all plants can be done this way but many can and in the spring she had a start to add to the seeds she had saved to plant. And they were all free.

Times were hard but we always had nice flowers to admire outside and for cutting and sharing. I still take cuttings and put the plants back out in the spring after all danger of frost.

Marvelous idea! But don't you have any problem getting it out past the neck of the jar? I'm thinking of using some of the salsa & peanut butter jars I've been collecting since the recycling center suspended collection of them, but it occurred to me to wonder how I'd get the starts out without disturbing the roots.