Does Microfiber Absorb Pet Odors?

I am thinking about buying a couch made with microfiber. My only concern is my dogs. They are couch sitters. I currently have leather and can wipe the dander off. Will microfiber absorb pet smells? Teresa

I know of a person who smoked and had a microfiber sofa that was smelling of tobacco smoke especially during high humidity. I would believe that a pet odor would also form on microfiber. Why not make a large cover for your sofa using several yards of upholstery material bought on the bolt to keep pets directly off the microfiber fabric? You can toss the bolt upholstery material in the washer to keep your sofa fresh smelling and I did this to our new sofa and it doesn't smell of pet dander and is kept clean. When you entertain in your home, you can remove the throw cover.

I find that just spritzing it with Febreze or any other fabric refresher keeps my microfiber recliner smelling nice. And I have 2 dogs that sit in it when nobody else is (and even when we are!), and it's also where sweaty husband plops after working in the hot sun.

The idea of covering it is fine, but doesn't make sense to me. If you're just going to bring it home and cover it, why spend the money on microfiber to begin with?

My little dog took up residence by the arm of our sofa. I didn't notice an problem with odor :( I use Febreze) but she left a dark stain on the arm from her oily skin. I was able to get it out, but now keep the arm covered with a fleece throw that I can wash regularly.

It will. We have two cats and a dog. The dog sleeps on our Endurosuede set almost every day. We bought the set from my son who'd had it cleaned before he brought it up. We've had it 1 1/2 to 2 years and it needed cleaning again. The cleaning did help the smell (which was very bad during high humidity), but the fabric does tend to "wear out." I would advise getting something else. On ours, it hasn't worn "slick" but the worn areas are darker, therefore making it look "dirty."

We have pets as well. Two cats and two dogs and we wouldn't trade them for the world. We also have a microfiber couch and chair and we haven't had any problems with odor. Mind you we are in a non smoking home as well. Maybe thats the difference. We do have a problem with fur though. But i guess thats what happens when you have pets. We always say we can vaccuum till the cows come home and there will always be fur lol.

I have a microfiber loveseat and couch. I got it in 04 and i have had no trouble with it at all. I have 4 dogs and while they are not allowed to sleep on it, I have had no problems with it wearing out or odors. Once a month I take a dishtowel and use vinegar and water and wipe the upholstery down, and put the cushions in the sun. I also rotate the cushions to avoid wear. Good Luck

Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 18, 2009
red putty egg
Removing Silly Putty Stains from Microfiber
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber