Getting Starch Out of Clothes

How do you get starch out of blue jeans that have been starched so stiff they can stand up by themselves? They've been through the wash at least three times and they are still stiff. The jeans were from my husband's nephew, who likes them starched that much.

By CJ from Rural NM

If just using really hot water doesn't work, I think some vinegar in the wash cycle will help take out the starch ,good luck.

I've tried ammonia, so vinegar is next. Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.

Wow! Have you used hot, hot water? Like adding a big pan of boiling water along with your regular hot water.

Try adding 3 or 4 cans of Coca-Cola to the wash along with your laundry soap. I don't know if this will work, but one can of regular "classic" Coca-Cola (not the sugarless kind) removes nicotine, & other nasty smoke odors. I'm wondering if it's that strong, maybe it will remove the starch???

Go to the supermarket or Walmart & read the back of the liquid starch bottle. Maybe they have directions for removing it!?

If Vinegar doesn't work, try adding half a box of baking soda to your wash cycle (because Baking Soda is the opposite of Vinegar) & works like a water softener. Hey! Come to think of it, maybe a water softener (like Calgon) might help!?

Wash them again, but each time soak overnight in cold water first.

Have you tried adding fabric softener to the rinse cycle and then just let them soak for a few minutes before continuing the final spin cycle?

OK, after total frustration and desperation I put 2 pair of heavily starched jeans in the washer, on warm, added 2 cups of Advanced Finish dishwasher detergent and 2 cup of cider vinegar. Washed for approx 30 min. and added 3 fabric sheets to the rinse. It was a MIRACLE...almost all the starch is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this helps you as much as it did me ;o)

Starched Shirt
Cleaning Starch from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMarch 6, 2010
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
starched blue dress shirt
Starching Clothing
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
Corn Starch
Uses for Corn Starch
🎉
🎄