Dealing With Unsolicited Phone Calls and Messages

contest winner icon

If you receive unsolicited phone calls and text messages even though you are on the Do Not Call registry, you can file a report with the FCC and post messages on these "Who's Calling Me" type websites. But there is something else you can do that will usually work even better and faster at stopping them; report them to the company who's phone service they are using!

Go to a reverse lookup site, I used www.numberinvestigator.com, and type in the phone number you received the call from. It will tell you where the call originated from and what service they used (the two I got today both were from T-Mobile phones in Ohio). Then, find the website for that phone company and find their Customer Service number.

Call them and ask to speak to someone in their "Fraud Dept". Give them as much info as you can about the call/text, including the phone number it came from and any phone numbers,emails or websites it lists.

It seems like a lot of these telemarketing calls and text messages are now coming from cell phones because it's harder to track them down. Most of these cell phone companies (and the regular phone service companies) have fraud departments and they act quickly to shut these people down when they get a complaint about someone using their service to make unsolicited, harassing phone calls or text messages. They don't like it, it makes THEM look bad! Not only that, when you sign the contract to use their service,you agree not to use it for these purposes.

I have had to do this in the past and the phone calls/text messages stopped almost immediately, whereas the report to the FCC just makes them aware of the problem but doesn't stop it as fast.

By lyonpridej from Tulsa,OK

Great information! Thank you for sharing it with us!

One day I got a telemarketing call (before the Do Not Call List was implemented). I politely (I thought) said that I wasn't interested and told the guy to have a nice day, then I hung up. The guy called back, screaming that I didn't have to be so rude. Then he slammed the phone down and almost broke my eardrum. I was speechless, and that doesn't happen very often. LOL. True story!

Margaret from Denton, Texas

I sing to them.I would get as many as 20 telemarketers a day. So I decided since I can't sing why not practice on them. My favorite is "I'm only a bird in a Guilded cage" that was my mother's favorite. They call back I sing God Bless America. I even had one call back for me to sing to his manager. They stopped calling now I can go without a call for a whole day or two. My cousin loves it. Everyone I know I tell them to do it and it works. Make sure it is your worst voice . Mine is like a dog hollering and I am having fun.

Wow! lyonpridej this is awesome! Thank you so much for this information. You rock. :)

I *am* one of those annoying telemarketers, lol! But I only work B2B, promise!

Here's my true "war story:" I accidentally called a residence, meaning to get a business that previously had that number. I guess the guy either never heard of the do not call registry, or enjoyed haranguing poor, unsuspecting business callers. I hung up on him. Since I never remember to *67, he was able to call me back, and did so in order to scream at me some more and demand my CEO's name and number. I *really* hope the listing service finally got the message!