Freezing Cabbage

Cabbage can go bad quickly once it is past it's prime. Preserve it for use later by freezing your cabbage. This is a guide about freezing cabbage.

November 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about freezing cooked cabbage. Once cabbage has been cooked it can still be frozen for later consumption.

A bowl of cooked cabbage.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 4, 2010 Flag

Is it possible to just shred and freeze cabbage?

By Julie from England, West Yorkshire

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

June 10, 2006 Flag

Selecting High-Quality Cabbage:

Select freshly picked, solid heads that feel weighty for their size and have fresh leaves and good color. Heads should be tightly attached to their stems and not starting to separate. If harvesting your own cabbage, leave it in the ground as late in the fall as possible before the first frost. Frozen cabbage will be wilted when thawed, but can still be used for cooking.

Preparing for Freezing:

Trim coarse outer leaves from head. Cut into medium to coarse shreds or thin wedges, or separate the head into individual leaves.

Blanching Time:

Cabbage can be frozen directly without being blanched, but for cabbage intended for sours and casseroles requiring cooked cabbage, water-blanch convenient sized wedges for 3 to 4 minutes or steam blanch them for 4 to 6 minutes. Whole leaves or shredded cabbage can be water-blanched for 1 1/2 minutes. Cool promptly and drain.

Best Freezing Method(s):

• Boilable Bags Place desired amounts of shredded cabbage into boiling bags, add desired seasoning, press out air and seal. Blanch cabbage for 1 1/2 minutes in boiling water, cool bags in ice water, pat dry and freeze. Shredded cabbage can also be frozen in boilable bags without blanching. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.
  • Tray Packs Clean and prepare whole leaves or wedges and either blanch or leave them unblanched. Lay in a single layer on cookie sheets and place them in the freezer. When fully frozen (12 to 24 hours), portion them into suitable containers and freeze. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.
  • Dry Packs Transfer blanched or unblanched cabbage leaves, wedges or shredded cabbage directly into suitable containers for freezing. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging:

Suitable packaging for freezing includes freezer-grade plastic bags, rigid plastic containers or glass containers and heavy duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time:

10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing:

Thaw coleslaw in the refrigerator. Add frozen cabbage directly to dishes.

Tips & Shortcuts:

Cabbage can be brined as sauerkraut or made into coleslaw or relishes and frozen. Whole leaves can be frozen unblanched for use as wrappers for baking or stuffing, and used immediately after thawing. Cabbages should not be frozen whole. Store whole heads, roots intact, by hanging them upside down in a root cellar. Keeping the outer leaves intact will keep the inner leaves from drying out.

Refrigerating Cabbage:

Do not wash until use. Store whole cabbages in perforated plastic bags for 4 to 8 weeks. Store coleslaw in an airtight container for 3 days. Sauerkraut can be stored in a non-metal, airtight container for up to 1 week.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

September 7, 2011 Flag

Can I freeze cabbage?

By Donna from Jacksonville, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think you can freeze cooked cabbage, but not sure raw freezes very well. Sorry, not very exact here.

Here's a guide I submitted last week that gives instructions and blanching time for assorted vegetables including cabbage.

http://www.thri  5520329.tip.html

If it helps you maybe you could give it a thumbs up for me ;-)

When my dad freezes cabbage he boils it till its almost tender and then drains it and puts it in freezer bags till he wants it for soup or whatever he wants. He's given me some and it works great.

April 1, 2011 Flag

How long will cabbage last after it is cooked and frozen?

By Jimmie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never frozen cabbage by itself but I have frozen soup with added cabbage for

three to four months with success. Hope this helps.

This is a great site:

http://www.stilltasty.com/

January 29, 2010 Flag

Why do frozen cabbage heads or leaves discolour to a horrible brownish colour?

By l from Sudbury, ON

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've never tried to freeze entire heads of cabbage as that would take up so much space. Try parboiling them first and see if that helps. Cooked cabbage should freeze well.

I cook cabbage as if we will eat them & freeze them. The same for all greens, good luck.

July 14, 2012 Flag

Can cabbage be frozen? If so how? Blanched? Cut up?

By Marilyn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We just slice it up and put it in freezer bags. We used to blanch it but read some where that it isn't necessary. We can't tell the difference.

October 30, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze fresh cabbage?

By Mimi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The first link is an archived article regarding cabbage preparation. The second link is regarding complete blanching process for cabbage and several other vegetables to ready for freezing:

http://www.thri  9856241.tip.html

http://www.thri  5520329.tip.html

July 31, 2011 Flag

Can you freeze red cabbage raw or cooked?

By Diana

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can freeze just about anything. What you need to consider is the texture of the product when it defrosts. Cabbage, like most leafy vegetables, are full of water. As such, when they defrost, the water will leach out of its cells. You will be left with limp and mushy produce when it is thawed. This is best suited for cooked recipes, or those that don't require a crunch.

Cut the head of cabbage across the core in half. Cut out the core by cutting a V shape through the cut side of each half. Cut shreds lengthwise across each half. I'm not a big fan of blanching, but if you want to, blanch the shreds in boiling water for about 2 minutes. Cool in an ice bath, drain and bag if freezer bags.

I would portion it out depending on the recipes you're most likely to make. If for a side dish, 2-4 cups. If for an ingredient, 1 cup in small zip-top bags. Flatten the smaller bags and remove the air and place all of them in a larger freezer bag.

December 15, 2014 Flag

I bought a head of cabbage, but I'm limited on my intake. Can I just freeze it, or does it need to be cooked and then frozen?

By Betty B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 8, 2014 Flag

Can I freeze cooked red cabbage with red currant jelly and apples for Christmas dinner? It possible does anyone have a recipe, I would like to do this early for Christmas?

By Jean O

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 6, 2010 Flag

I have made a lot of red cabbage with apples and onions. Can I freeze some of it?

By Mary Fran from New York City

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have froze it with success just a bit runny saves throwing it out I have also froze macaroni salad.

October 4, 2010 Flag

I'm trying to find out how to freeze cabbage. I got so much and this is the first time I planted cabbage. It was fun planting a garden, I am doing it again next spring.

By Cindy from Sheridan, IN

Answers:

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I just chop it up and put it in freezer bags. No blanching necessary. It's great in recipes where you need to cook the cabbage. (08/03/2010)

By wendiesioux

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

You could chop it in a food processor, then fry it in butter and salt and pepper, put it in a plastic container and freeze in portions of about 1 cup. When you want a quick meal or side dish, thaw it out and then boil some noodles and mix together for cabbage and noodles. (08/05/2010)

By Cindy S.

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I had an excess of cabbage (just the two of us) last year and all I did was shred it, or rather cut in half, then slice it in not too thin slices, then pop an appropriate amt. for us in the freezer in Ziploc bags. I would thaw in the fridge when I wanted to use it, then put it in soups, stews, saute it with oil, apples, garlic and Spam and a little brown sugar and it was yummm! You can even drop a bunch in boiling water (the sliced cabbage, I did not do wedges) til it is done to your liking, butter it or adapt it to your way of cooking, taste buds, etc. I did not blanch it or anything. I had no problem with it at all. (08/06/2010)

By Indianone

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 3, 2010 Flag

How do you freeze fresh cabbage?

By Trapper Cook from Riverton, WY

Answers:

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I take a head of cabbage and quarter it. Cut the heart out of it (the center hard part) and then wedge them smaller. Place it in freezer bags (pints) and freeze them. Then when I make vegetable soup I just take one wedge and cook it along with the rest of the veggies. My mother-in-law used to make what she called freezer slaw. I didn't care for it because it was with vinegar instead of the mayo base. The recipe would be found on internet.
I'm getting ready today to freeze my cabbage wedges for this winter. (08/06/2009)

By batmenj_5

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I always freeze 3 or 4 cabbages each fall when they are at their largest for cabbage rolls. All I do is put one whole cabbage in a set of double grocery bags, then toss into freezer. This is the greatest way to have cabbage for making cabbage rolls during the colder weather. The cabbage leaves peel off without boiling first, no messy boiling to soften the cabbage. The smaller leaves I chop up to use later in soups or stews. Good luck! (08/06/2009)

By EM10

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I shred my cabbage then put in quart size freezer Ziploc bags. I thaw them out as needed, and stir fry with some butter, salt and pepper. It is yummy. Or I have a recipe with shredded cabbage and Spam or I use thawed shredded cabbage in soups or veggie patties. Hope this helps you. (08/06/2009)

By Indianone

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I cut my cabbage in wedges and blanch in hot boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes. Then I place the wedges in freezer bags in portions I would use for soup, stir frys, etc. (08/06/2009)

By morbetomommy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 4, 2009 Flag

Can I freeze cabbage?

Connie from Olivehill, TN

Editors Note: Here is a link to some information on ThirftyFun about freezing cabbage: Freezing Cabbage

Answers:

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

Are you talking about raw or boiled cabbage. I know that some love boiled cabbage, as I probably live about 15 miles from you, ha.

I have frozen cooked boiled cabbage, just cook them and let cool and place in bags, lay flat and get all the air out. Then pop in the freezer. I didn't know that you could freeze uncooked cabbage, just goes to show that you can learn something new everyday unless you are dead.

Martha
(05/09/2008)

By justmyimagination2002

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 7, 2008 Flag

Does anyone know if cabbage can be frozen? I froze it in unstuffed cabbage soup, but I don't how else to freeze it. The soup is excellent, too.

Thanks,

Mary from Paris, Ohio

Answers:

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5333.html

Cabbage

Discard coarse outer leaves. Cut into wedges or shred coarsely. Blanch wedges 3 minutes and shredded cabbage 1 1/2 minutes. Cool promptly and drain.

Here's a website that gives a list of vegetables that can be frozen, and cabbage is one of them. Print off a copy of the website and file it with your recipes.

(11/07/2007)

By MCW

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

Yes, you can freeze it. Wrap it in several plastic bags and tie tightly. Cabbage makes it's own heat so it will take several days to freeze. It also takes several days to defrost. This is a great way to make stuffed cabbages because once it thaws the leaves come right off with the slightest pull. (11/07/2007)

By perfume and powder

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesNovember 29, 2011
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
A bowl of cooked cabbage.
Freezing Cooked Cabbage
butterfly of an imported cabbage worm
Garden Insects: Imported Cabbage Worms
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 7:32:41 PM on 10.0.1.151 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.