Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Oil Stain from Dry Clean Only Fabric

Any suggestions on how to get an oil based stain out of a comforter that is only to be dry-cleaned? The oil stain is Skin-So-Soft body oil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By Susankin from Lynchburg, VA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Colleen Stuchal [4]08/04/2009

I use LESTOIL on all grease stains. It even gets imbedded tar out of skinned knees.

By Cyinda [214]08/03/2009

Only wash the area of the stain, I'd use GOOP (the hand gleaner for greasy mechanic's hands). Just dab some on, then scrub lightly with a toothbrush to saturate the stain. Let sit for 10 min or so then rinse out & let air dry.

* Before you start, you may want to wrap a large rubber band around the stain to isolate it.

If that doesn't work try this:
WD-40 & Dawn dish soap
http://www.ehow.com/how_5063873_remove-oil-stains-clothes.html

if your comforter is made of satin or velvet & you're really afraid to get it wet try this:
talcum powder and corn starch
http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lou ... e-oil-stains-from-clothing--443.html

* I've found that most things that say "dry-clean only" can really be hand washed. This doesn't mean ALL of them can be hand washed, but many can. I've found this out by 40 years of sewing & knowing about fabric contents... But I've been experimenting for many years with Thrift Shop & garage sale clothing. Because when I pay 25 cents or $3 for a piece of clothing, no way am I going to spend an extra 10 or 15 bucks for them to be dry-cleaned! I'll just bring the second-hand item home then throw it in the washer on gentle cycle to either come out nice & clean or trashed & 9 times out of 10 the item will wash up just fine.