Removing Oil Stain from Dry Clean Only Fabric

Any suggestions on how to get an oil based stain out of a comforter that is only to be dry-cleaned? The oil stain is Skin-So-Soft body oil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By Susankin from Lynchburg, VA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Only wash the area of the stain, I'd use GOOP (the hand gleaner for greasy mechanic's hands). Just dab some on, then scrub lightly with a toothbrush to saturate the stain. Let sit for 10 min or so then rinse out & let air dry.

* Before you start, you may want to wrap a large rubber band around the stain to isolate it.

If that doesn't work try this:

WD-40 & Dawn dish soap

http://www.ehow.com/how_5063873_remove-oil-stains-clothes.html

if your comforter is made of satin or velvet & you're really afraid to get it wet try this:

talcum powder and corn starch

http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lou ... e-oil-stains-from-clothing--443.html

* I've found that most things that say "dry-clean only" can really be hand washed. This doesn't mean ALL of them can be hand washed, but many can. I've found this out by 40 years of sewing & knowing about fabric contents... But I've been experimenting for many years with Thrift Shop & garage sale clothing. Because when I pay 25 cents or $3 for a piece of clothing, no way am I going to spend an extra 10 or 15 bucks for them to be dry-cleaned! I'll just bring the second-hand item home then throw it in the washer on gentle cycle to either come out nice & clean or trashed & 9 times out of 10 the item will wash up just fine.

I use LESTOIL on all grease stains. It even gets imbedded tar out of skinned knees.

Answer

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsAugust 3, 2009
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Wedding Dress
Removing a Blood Stain on a Wedding Dress
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 5:55:18 PM on 10.0.2.249 in 980 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.