Getting a Knot Out of a Gold Necklace

I just tried the baby powder method with a very small knot in a very thin gold necklace and ended up with the original small knot and at the other end a very large knot. Other ideas?

Best Answer

The baby powder method didn't work for me. What I've found is the easiest way is rubbing the knot between your thumb and forefinger gently to loosen the knot, then picking the knot apart (either with your fingers or sewing pins) It only took me about 2 minutes and the necklace has been knotted up for at least 2 years.

Best Answer

I put olive oil on my thumb and index finger and then rubbed the know slowly between the two fingers. I took two safety pins and was able to loosen two knots in a very thin chain. Thanks for the suggestions - they were extremely helpful.

Best Answer

Absolutely brilliant! The oil and pin trick. I'd spent the best part of 30-40 minutes trying get to my little knot out of a new necklace that i hadn't even worn yet, I was so frustrated. Then I came on here and in less than 30 seconds, it did the trick.

Thanks so much - I will pass that little snippet on. :*)

Best Answer

Canola oil and tweezers! Then I gently rubbed the knot with my middle finger and thumb. Then put a paperclip through the hole (circle) - then I was able to get the knot out and this was all under 45 seconds! Thanks for the tip!

The olive oil worked great. I used a microscope and 2 pins and in less than 3 minutes, the knot was out and this was an ultra fine link "chain within a chain" design.

The OLIVE OIL is the key. It permits the links to slide over each other effortlessly. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help. I will try the oil method.

Wow! The olive oil and two needles worked perfectly! Within 2 minutes the knot was gone from a very thin white gold chain! Thanks everyone!

Just wanted to say I've spent 2 days trying to get the not out of a silver neck chain. I tried olive oil and didn't need any pins. The links loosened up in less than a minute I got the knot out.

Oil and pin. Worked in one minute. Thanks!

(posted via email)

I had a very slim gold chain disentangled by the olive oil and pin trick from your website, however I used a sharp tooth pick. It was really effective. Thank you

Muibat

Do not use oil because I tried it and I broke my necklace it was the last thing my grandma gave me! 

Getting Knots Out of a Gold Chain
Getting Knots Out of a Gold Chain
Home and Garden Repair Other JewelrySeptember 4, 2007
Square Knot
Tying a Square Knot (Reef Knot)
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
A shiny pile of gold chains, rings and other jewelry
Cleaning Gold Jewelry
Cash for Gold
Selling Gold Jewelry For Cash
🎉
🎄