Making a Rag Knots Chewing Toy

Category Dog Toys
If your dog loves to chew and play tug-o-war, a rag knots chew toy is perfect for them. This is a guide about making a rag knots chewing toy.

I started making these for the local humane society to sell at fundraisers as well as at the local vet clinics. The vets found this to be a perfect toy. It is stitched, so it is safe. My own dog steals them from the sewing machine.

Approximate Time: At first I would suggest 30 to 45 minutes, I made a lot at one time.

Instructions:

1. Take 1 large adult t-shirt, the more colors the better, but no grease or paint stains. Cut off at the armpits, use the bottom of the shirt. Without cutting the seams, cut 9 strips across.
  2. Snip the seam now. If you do a couple of these at the same time, you can mix and match the colors.
  3. Take 3 strips of choice by color, pin at the top so that you have 3 sets of these, run a double stitch across the end.
  4. Ad

5. Tie a tight knot at the top, then start braiding it to the end.
  6. Double stitch the end on all sets.
  7. Take the 3 braided sets and find center of all, stitch them, then start to braid together.
  8. Knot the ends again, and then knot in the center. It is bulky, but this is what the dog wants. With the human scent all over it, the dog will find it is favorite family toy.

I sell these for $4.00

By Joyce from Benson, MN

I made one last night in less than 30 minutes. I have 2 small Rat Terriers so I decided to use a women's medium t-shirt. My strips were about 1 1/2 inches wide. Completed toy is about 16 inches long. You were right...the dogs do love it!! I can already tell this will outlive the storebought tug of war toys/chews. Thanks for the great idea.

By mommapatty (Guest Post)

Very clever--thanks!

By Liz (Guest Post)

Thank you for this great idea.
Liz

By mommasue (Guest Post)

Great idea for local shelters.