Tips for Traveling By Train

I am planning a family trip to Disney World, FL with my kids and grandkids. Our kids are traveling by airplane but I'm traveling by train with my husband and 89 year old mother-in-law. We have never traveled by train and don't know what to do once we arrive. Can you give me some traveling tips and direct me to a good vacation planning tool?

By Jeannie

Pack tons of tea bags, instant coffee, sugar, dry creamer, instant soups, instant oat meal, instant anything that needs to be made only with hot water as you aren't charged for the hot water or the glass cup it comes in.

Also, pack your own styrofoam cups for hot tea and coffee to take away with you from the dining car. Plastic glasses for drinking water furnished in the dining car or the bathroom sink, large styrofoam cups for instant soups or oatmeal in the morning [you may have to buy a carton of milk for your cereal IF needed] & silverware that you can wash in their bathroom sink and keep until the next meal and repack when your through traveling. The dining car is terribly expensive, this is how my under 10 year old daughter and I (a widowed mother) traveled years ago.

We had a lot of strange looks from folks sitting around us but it worked and cost us nothing and the train only supplied the hot water so, it didn't cost them anything either!

Of course, you will want to leave a tip with the waiter/porter taking care of your supply of hot water; perhaps $1 per person eating. So for three meals, for three people, you will only spend $9 a day. Much better then $10+ dollars per person per meal.

Keep us informed and good luck . You will love traveling by train. You'll be able to see things that you can not see from the interstates or other roads.

If you take a camera 'do not take photo's out of the window with the flash on' as the flash will glare off the window ruining your photo. I learned that the hard way. :(

Also, bring light summer blankets to cover yourselves with as it can be very, very cold in their air conditioned cars. Guess it is cheaper to keep them cold then to keep them warm. Besides everyone is different so what is hot to you may be cold to someone else and vice versa. It is much better to be prepared then not to be and wish you were.

Pack a lot of change too, to use in the vending machines in the train stations and bring something to read.

~Hope you and yours have a great time.~

When traveling always take a group picture B 4 you begin to sightsee in case someone gets lost. That way you don't have to try & remember who wore what. Or everybody can wear the same outfit & then all you have to do is look down. You still need a recent pic. Let me know how things turned out & have a safe trip.

Traveling By Train
Traveling By Train
Travel and Recreation TravelFebruary 7, 2011
Coupons
Joining a Coupon Train
Candy Train Ornament
Candy Train Ornament
Woman With Allergies
Traveling with Allergies
A dog reading a paper.
Paper Training a Puppy
🎉
🎄