Stopping Prescreened Credit Card Offers

"You can choose to stop receiving 'prescreened' offers of credit from credit and insurance companies by calling 1-888-567-8688." This message came with a cell phone service offer. I did it and stopped the offers for 5 years for my husband and I.

By Carole from Lothian, MD

Editor's Note: This is the number that the FTC recommends as well. From there website:

Can I reduce the number of unsolicited credit and insurance offers I get?

If you decide that you don't want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. Call toll-free 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com for details. The telephone number and website are operated by the major consumer reporting companies. When you call or visit the website, you'll be asked to provide certain personal information, including your home telephone number, name, Social Security number, and date of birth. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out.

Remember that if you have joint credit relationships, like a mortgage or a car loan with a spouse, partner, or other adult, you may continue to receive some prescreened solicitations until both of you exercise your opt-out right.

Source: FTC.gov

Thank You , Thank You, Thank You!!!