Make Plans for Your Leftovers

Plan weekly menus with two large cuts of meat to roast and then plan leftover dinners with the leftover meat. Also, use leftovers for sandwich meat for lunches.

By Joan

I do this too, buying a larger piece of meat and figuring the leftovers into meal planning. It really does save money. At first my new husband thought I was being extravagant so I sat him down and showed him how that big piece of meat would serve us up to eight different meals.

I learned to do this years ago, I love leftovers:) There are so many ways to vary a menu with them.

Using leftover cooked meat for sandwiches is a great idea and I have been doing it for years. But I use them to make a big sandwich for supper instead of for lunches. Leftover chicken can be sliced up, mixed with peppers and onions and put on a toasted big bun, then covered with pizza sauce and mozzarella or provolone cheese and put under the broiler.

I use leftover roast to make a hot roast beef sandwich with horseradish sauce (just mix mayo and prepared horseradish) and melted cheddar... again melted under the broiler. Leftover turkey or chicken is great on a sub bun with chipotle mayo (you can make your own), topped with avocado and then with mexican style cheese then baked or broiled.

If we have steak (we buy cheap or reduced cuts), I use leftover sliced steak to make a tasty sandwich topped with steak sauce and cheddar, then broiled. As you can see, we eat a lot of cheese and use our broiler often, but we do stretch our meals and any of these options are fit for a whole other supper! These are especially good if there is not enough meat left for it to be the main course. I often make these type of sandwiches for Sunday night supper when we have gotten back from church.

Just last night I used leftover chicken on a bun smothered in a tiny bit of homemade Alfredo sauce and melted mozzarella, using up leftover chicken, whipping cream, and cheese which had been used for a different meal. That little handful of chicken stretched to make a nice big sandwich for my husband and me.

I also often plan to use leftover meats as pizza toppings. Give me a piece of bread or crust and a handful of leftovers and a piece of cheese and I can make a great supper sandwich for very little cost, especially since I buy good bakery style buns for a fraction of the cost off the reduced rack and freeze them for when needed.

Take Out Containers in Refrigerator
Using Leftovers
Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversApril 22, 2001
Refrigerator With Leftovers in Tupperware
Organizing Leftovers
Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich
Using Thanksgiving Leftovers
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
🎄